1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Chase

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Alpha Whiskey Photography, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Alpha Whiskey Photography

Alpha Whiskey Photography Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2013
    Sorry to start a new thread but there’s a lot of images in this one. Another bespoke poster commission, the client gave me the briefest of briefs - a chase involving police cars and a fast car. She commissioned only a few images for her son’s bedroom walls but once again I decided to make a little project out of it and somehow ended up with a 43 image action extravaganza, complete with ridiculous 1980s-style stunts. She gave me permission to present a selection of the smaller versions here and to display them on my blog as part of my growing body of work in this genre.

The photography (I know some will challenge that) didn’t take that long to complete and the set-ups were fairly easy to do (fishing line is great stuff). But the editing took a while, some images involving upwards of 25 layers. Fortunately I factored the time into my fee.

As before, I tried to shoot everything as practically as possible; the road and the grass are real. Editing in software filled in the details, such as headlights, debris, broken glass, and backgrounds. And once again, despite having the outward appearance of playing with toys, this was an exercise in composition and framing, selecting the appropriate angles to make stills appear dynamic and interesting. Not all of these are convincing and some are merely connecting or pick-up shots to help tell the story.

The cars were all 1/36 die cast scale models.

The video of the entire sequence, with music, can be seen here.

There is hardly anyone out there doing this kind of dynamic scale model action (arguably no one else is that sad) but so many people, kids and adults alike, own die cast cars or enjoy vehicular action. The Fast and Furious movies, for example, have made billions globally. So producing bespoke posters and canvases (especially using the client's own models or models of their actual cars) is a relatively untapped niche to explore and the process will inevitably teach you much about composition, framing, lighting and editing. The relative rarity of this product can also be reflected in your fees. Just a thought for you. Best wishes.

E-M1MarkII    LUMIX G 20/F1.7    20mm    f/3.2    1/3s    ISO 200
    E-M1MarkII    OLYMPUS M.12-40mm F2.8    14mm    f/5.6    8s    ISO 200
    11. 14. 15. 17. 20. 21.
    E-M1MarkII    LEICA DG 8-18/F2.8-4.0    14mm    f/10.0    30s    ISO 200
    E-M1MarkII    OLYMPUS M.12-40mm F2.8    21mm    f/3.5    1/0s    ISO 800
    30. 32. 37. 38. 39. 41. 42.

MORE HERE

• Winner Winner x 18
    • Wow Wow x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. LilSebastian

LilSebastian Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Pasadena, CA
    The market for this must be bigger than one commission, it is just too much fun. Maybe sell some of those 2 meter or 6 foot tall vinyl posters for kids bedrooms and adults basements?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alpha Whiskey Photography

Sep 5, 2013
    I've had a few commissions so far and a few in the pipeline. The clients get the full size images or they'll ask me to make large canvas or poster prints for them. I imagine it's also cheaper for the car companies themselves to use scale models than actual cars for advertising but they're probably not so open to it. Cheers :) 

4. melanieylang

melanieylang Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2017
    These are such exciting images, I think you've really nailed a niche - but likely very popular - market with your photography. The idea of using a client's own models is brilliant - what collector wouldn't be excited by that? Thank you for sharing, you have a wonderful talent. Keep up the great work!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alpha Whiskey Photography

Sep 5, 2013
    Many thanks! :) 
    Yes, you're right. Someone has recently given me their collectible Formula One racing cars to photograph so that's next ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    These are great! You really have a talent for it.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.