1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Case for the E-PM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Biro, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I wrote much of the same thing in a response to a "deals" post, but I suspect most people won't see it there. But the fact is, I believe the Olympus E-PM1 may turn out to be the sleeper :43: camera of the year - particularly if one is looking for a very compact, second camera body.

Yes, the E-PM1 has fewer external controls than the E-P3 and even the E-PL1/2/3. But it looks very easy to use. It can't be much more complicated or slow to manipulate controls than with my LX-3. Perhaps if this was one's only :43: camera, it might be an issue. But certainly not for a second body.

In fact, I suspect that for the kinds of subjects most of us would use the E-PM1 for, just turning it on Intelligent Auto or maybe Aperture Priority would be fine. I just wish the flash was built in like the E-PL1/2. But even that isn't a deal-breaker.

$499 or slightly less with the latest (and fastest-focusing) version of Oly's kit 14-42mm lens. Maybe even less by the time we get to Christmas. Same final image quality as the E-P3 and E-PL3.

E-PM1 or GF-3? I'm betting both auto-focus and high-ISO performance is very similar. So, really, it's a matter of form factor and personal preference. For me, it would be an easy choice to opt for Oly's VF-3 EVF with this camera instead of the larger, more-expensive VF-2. I could see picking up this camera in order to have IBIS for when I want to do indoor photography with my Panny 20mm f/1.7.

It was only about three years ago that my LX-3 - with a much smaller sensor - was introduced with the same MSRP. For a while, I was intrigued by Fuji's new X10. But I'm pretty sure the E-PM1 will smoke the Fuji for $200 less. Nice job, Oly.

• Like Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.