The Case for the E-PM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Biro, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I wrote much of the same thing in a response to a "deals" post, but I suspect most people won't see it there. But the fact is, I believe the Olympus E-PM1 may turn out to be the sleeper :43: camera of the year - particularly if one is looking for a very compact, second camera body.

Yes, the E-PM1 has fewer external controls than the E-P3 and even the E-PL1/2/3. But it looks very easy to use. It can't be much more complicated or slow to manipulate controls than with my LX-3. Perhaps if this was one's only :43: camera, it might be an issue. But certainly not for a second body.

In fact, I suspect that for the kinds of subjects most of us would use the E-PM1 for, just turning it on Intelligent Auto or maybe Aperture Priority would be fine. I just wish the flash was built in like the E-PL1/2. But even that isn't a deal-breaker.

$499 or slightly less with the latest (and fastest-focusing) version of Oly's kit 14-42mm lens. Maybe even less by the time we get to Christmas. Same final image quality as the E-P3 and E-PL3.

E-PM1 or GF-3? I'm betting both auto-focus and high-ISO performance is very similar. So, really, it's a matter of form factor and personal preference. For me, it would be an easy choice to opt for Oly's VF-3 EVF with this camera instead of the larger, more-expensive VF-2. I could see picking up this camera in order to have IBIS for when I want to do indoor photography with my Panny 20mm f/1.7.

It was only about three years ago that my LX-3 - with a much smaller sensor - was introduced with the same MSRP. For a while, I was intrigued by Fuji's new X10. But I'm pretty sure the E-PM1 will smoke the Fuji for $200 less. Nice job, Oly.

• Like Like x 3