The Canadian Canoe Museum ... worth a visit!

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by O2BanRRT, Sep 11, 2017.

1. O2BanRRT

O2BanRRT Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Waterloo, Ontario (Canada)
    Jean
    The definition of a canoe differs depending on which part of the world you live in. I'm a Canadian and for me the Wikipedia definitions applies "A canoe is a lightweight narrow watercraft, typically pointed at both ends and open on top, propelled by one or more seated or kneeling paddlers facing the direction of travel using a single-bladed paddle."

I visited the Canadian Canoe Museum yesterday and heartily recommend a visits! Although only worth going if you happen to be in Peterborough Ontario, it is quite small and cosy. Canoeing is my passion and mesh's well with my photography hobby.

All Photos taken with my GX7 and 12-35mm f/2.8

From the forest built to go into the wilderness
    20170910-CanoeMuseum-006of006-HDR-XL.

The bones of my vessel
    20170910-CanoeMuseum-046of046-HDR-XL.

Freight transport and shelter for the night
    20170910-CanoeMuseum-096of096-HDR-XL.

one of my hero's "Bill Mason". He was an artist, a filmmaker, but foremost a canoeist!
    20170910-CanoeMuseum-120of120-HDR-XL.

Thanks for indulging me.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Would be good to see, I used to do a lot of canoeing when I was younger, and we used to look at the wooden Canadian Canoes that we could not afford.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TaoStory

TaoStory Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 12, 2014
    Benton Harbor, Michigan
    Tom Remisoski
    I love canoes!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nice set Jean. I always loved canoeing, but l haven't lived near any canoeing water for the last 20 years. The last time I went canoeing, one of my group sacrificed an aluminum Grumman to the Snake River.

5. O2BanRRT

O2BanRRT Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Jean
    Thank you Harvey! Those Grumman's were as tough as nails. It must have been an interesting trip to have lost/sacrificed a Grumman :)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. You've peaked my interest Jean... I live only 30 minutes from Peterbro so will have to check it out next time I'm up there!

7. O2BanRRT

O2BanRRT Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Jean
    You live in a beautiful part of our province, I hope you enjoy the Museum :)

8. Motmot

Motmot New to Mu-43

Dec 26, 2016
    Thousand Islands, New York
    Dan Miller
    Well worth going there when they are giving tours of the storage facility. It's an impressive collection.

9. O2BanRRT

O2BanRRT Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Jean
    thanks for the added "insider" information. I was in their storage warehouse about to 10 years ago and at that time they had an impressive collection along with a daunting responsibility to preserve such a big collection. I will make a point of getting in on another "inside" tour. Thanks