1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The CameraStores Pentax K-1 review is out

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by phigmov, May 15, 2016.

1. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Pentax K-1 review -

Looks good. Great to see a brand like Pentax remain alive and kicking in the market.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Agreed. Unfortunately, when you factor in native lenses, the cost really does temper the initial G.A.S I had for it and it doesn't look like it's for sports. But if I took it out on weekends when I've specifically set some time aside, with supporting tripod and the 15-30mm shooting landscapes, then I would just love it. Great to see the old limited edition lenses on it too.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Looks like a serious alternative to the D810 and 5Diii etc. Too big for my taste but I wish Pentax well with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yep, definitely. Lower price and higher quality than any of its competitors. You can practically have a whole system for the same price as the D810 or 5DSR body-only.

...that said, my experience with the K-S2 has suggested to me that I'm definitely not interested in any FF DSLR. That camera weighs about the same as an A7 II, which is plenty chunky for me. Unless of course I decided to exclusively use slow lenses and/or primes only with an FF body, I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I've got 2 FA Limiteds (31mm F1.8 and 43mm F1.9) that can't wait for me to buy a used K-1 next year! That will be my large system. M43 will become my midsize system. And Pentax Q is small.

6. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    Where's the 77mm?! It's my favorite among the 3 Limiteds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    That disclaimer was very relaxing, it helps to know these things in advance!
    :bravo-009:

8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Looks nice. Love the idea of pixel shift in FF. Drawbacks though are the relatively slow FPS and the less prolific used lens market. It may be less expensive than mainstream, but you can get so many great, used lenses for less that Canikon can in fact be much less expensive after adding lens costs.

Still...I like it and I hope it does well.

9. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I got a DA 70mm F2.4 instead.

10. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Not quite sure how this vintage glass is working with a high pixel density sensor. Nikon and Canon has been updating many lenses because the newer bodies are out resolving the older lenses. New lenses are now producing more micro contrast/sharpness.

I can see newbie photographers considering this FF camera due to cost as well as Pentax users wanting fresh excitement in the Pentax lineup.

I can see the appeal to pixel shift to landscape shooters. I can't see any Canon/Nikon shooters having much interest in this Pentax FF as the lens lineup is extremely limiting. I can see some folks jumping on board for nostalgia using oldschool lenses.

I must play the next time I'm at my favourite local camera shop. I'll admit I'm quite impressed to see dual memory card slots with this Pentax. I'd be extremely disappointed if an E-M2 or GH5 lacks dual memory card slots. The lack of dual card slots in Flagship m43 models would indicate professionals fearing potential issues of precious data loss. Still can believe Sony is not putting dual sd slots in their bodies yet!

11. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    yes, my experience exactly. i tried the KS2 on a whim because i needed the weather sealing my rangefinder gear couldnt provide. after trying countless systems i cannot express how surprised i was at how much i enjoyed using this camera and viewing its output, especially at the price. got a brand new cam plus the WR 20-40 lens for less than i paid for any other single camera ive tried and many many of the single lenses ive used over the past ten years. results are stunning imo. so much more natural looking and much more 'pop' than anything ive used from fuji or sony. and my 77/1.8 Ltd is the equal of any leica ive had the pleasure of using, though ive not had any 'lux's in my aresnal.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    This sensor has lower pixel density than any of the APS-C sensors that Pentax users have been mounting their K-mount lenses on for years. 36MP FF = 16MP APS-C, a resolution that practically nobody feels is too demanding for legacy glass. Mounting the lenses on an FF camera will often show worse corners, but that has almost nothing to do with resolving power, and everything to do with telecentricity and the different properties of film vs. digital sensor photosites and microlenses. The same is true on a 12MP or 16MP FF sensor, the main difference is that the whole image is at the lowest common denominator, you don't get to benefit from the additional central resolution.

It's hard to call the lens line up "extremely limited" when talking in the abstract. Name a few lenses you think you'd be missing, and I'm sure some of the Pentax users would be happy to tell you the appropriate option. As far as I can tell, the main missing lens is a fast medium telephoto like a 135/f2. Pretty much everything else is available, whether it's an autofocus FA lens or one of the new DFA made-for-digital options. Many of the nominally APS-C lenses also cover FF.

Put another way, the lens lineup for the K-1 is much better right out of the box than for the Sony A7 series if you want to use native lenses.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    I'd like to see Olympus and Panasonic adopt Pentax's Astro Tracer feature. Many m43 bodies have half the hardware (IBIS) already. The missing parts are GPS and some software coding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Is that right? When I priced the native lenses, the Nikon system appeared cheaper.

15. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    It's a bit of hyperbole, but it depends on how many lenses you need, what you're planning on doing, and whether you're okay with legacy AF lenses. $1500 in body savings is nothing to sneeze at.

16. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    The 3 f2.8 zooms are also cheaper than Nikon, another ~$1000 saving. The Limited primes are pricey tho.

17. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    What Nikon has (and what Pentax needs to fill out) is plenty of lens options at different price points. I already have two primes for the K-1 so getting one is a no-brainer for me. But I'll get one used in a year's time for even more savings...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    But watch for those later-in-production-run sales. I picked up a brand-new K-3 body from B&H for only $600 a couple of months ago. You never know - you might not have to settle for used.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    K1 really make use of the sensors shift tech to it's best. A little too big for my usage though, I'm sure it's brilliant, still has an "old" K30 in dry cab.

20. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Just remember when your buying into a camera system it's simply not just a camera body. It sure sounds like Tamron is the facility where Pentax is using them as an OE provider in lenses. Almost sounds like this is the case.

The Nikon and Canon realm the selection of 3rd party lenses is massive. The mature OE lens lineup will provide any newbie to Pro more than enough lenses for any situation. This is where a photog has a huge choice in any price range. I never buy 3rd party lenses for any of my FF camera systems. However many people do buy Tamron, Tokina and Sigma as a main player in 3rd party.

For 200 USD more the Nikon D750 is an incredible FF with full support of a lot of lenses as well as off camera flash systems both in manual and TTL capabilities. I'm not certain what Pentax has to offer. Price point wise the older Canon's 6d is behind the times with a lack of dual sd cards and decent/OK AF system but you can shoot in the dark with the Cmos sensor in that body (not as good as the Sony A7s or Nikon FF "sony" sensors". The Canon does have a huge selection of lenses and slightly more to offer than Nikon. I'm a Canon user and I'd love to have the performance of a Nikon body.

The cost of the Pentax body is somewhat appealing with feature rich options. 5 axis in body stabilization is a nice to have no doubt but the 36.4 mpx is not really required but nice to have as well. Pixel shift is cool but for a high percentage of photogs it's not fully utilized and again nice to have. The Pentax can suite many photogs as a primary system but I think the energy of this body is more towards current Pentax users with both OE lenses and legacy.

The new revision of a Nikon 24-70 or Canon 24-70L f/2.8 mk2 is without a doubt expensive but the image quality is in a completely different league. Both mid tele zooms is like a high end Professional prime lens in every focal length.

The M43 has a huge lineup of lenses. This is where I think the appeal to the system is due to form factor and tapping into the mature lens lineup. In general very good quality files can be had for about a good price.

The nice thing about Pentax is that it's simply another camera system that can produce different flavours to the images.

• Like Like x 1