1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Camera bag with a difference...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by TonyB, Jul 10, 2012.

1. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    I posted this elsewhere but I thought I'd post it here as some people may be interested in something a little different and inexpensive.

I've been trying to find a camera bag I could really get on with for some time and I found the solution under my own nose. Here's the bag in question, if you want to know more about it, and why it works for me, I've blogged about it. It was easier than writing a long post on here in terms of using images etc. The bag in question and link to the article are below. It has a number of features some people might like, as I do. I'd be interested to hear if this would work for anyone else, just out of curiosity and not for profit I might add.

http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/camera-bag-with-difference.html

• Like Like x 5
  2. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Where did you find this and how much did you pay for it? Looks interesting.

3. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    You can find them on ebay (in various patterns) in the UK in the link below. The price varies from £20 to £50. For a bag that'll probably last longer than the average person I think that's pretty good value :smile:

ammo grab bag | eBay

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    eBay of course.....there was me thinking of paying a visit to my local army surplus store.

5. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    Well it might be worth a punt, they may well have them or something very similar.

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Basically the concept is to use an unpadded military-strength bag with pockets. There are hundreds of options out there. This is what I use:

monopod.

I have carried two G1 bodies, one with 14-140 and one with 100-300, a loose 9-18, and a bunch of other junk comfortably. In the front pocket I have a home-made pallet covered with velcro "fur" that carries batteries, chargers, filters, cables, etc. or the same stuff on a Cocoon panel. More info: specopstech.com/osc/images/lit/mission%20go%20bag%20final.pdf and Cocoon - grid-it!

I hand-sewed a layer of 1/2" closed cell foam to the bottom of the bag just to slightly cushion the gear when I set the bag down. Other than that, it is unpadded and hence un-bulky.

Lots of vendors for this stuff. Maxpedition.com - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR Tactical Nylon Gear for Military, Law Enforcement, Tactical Concealed Carry; Tailored to Perform Tactical, www.specopstech.com, 5.11 Tactical Gear | Superior Tactical Clothing & Equipment, Home BLACKHAWK! Lunatics hang out here: EDC Bags |

I like the bags with PALS webbing rather than fixed pockets because there are innumerable pouches available for attachment. Some padded, some unpadded. My Metz flash is in a lightly padded pouch that I attach only when I need to carry it.

Stores catering to paintball enthusiasts carry this type of stuff, though in my limited experience it is usually the cheaper, Chinese made, grades.

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Cool, thanks for sharing. I like the idea but not necessarily the look..maybe I'll see what they have in non-camo options. :)

8. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    No problem, I understand that, it wouldn't be for everyone. One things for sure, it's not likely to be confused with any other bag, that's a bonus for me :smile:

9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Great repurposing of an ammo bag - the layout is almost tailor-made for it! The only downside to me is lack of a padded insert (if you're lucky there's a pre-existing insert out there that fits though), and the multicam. I actually like multicam quite a bit, just not for bags and outerwear much as it draws unwanted attention in most urban environments.