The Buy & Sell Rules

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by demiro, Oct 14, 2013.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Everyone that lists an ad here has to click on a box saying they have read the Buy & Sell rules. Yet many people violate those rules. In particular this one:

This is a sort of crazy pet peeve of mine, so I apologize for this thread. But seriously, why can't we all refrain from bumping our completed ads with a "Sold!" post?

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I would also add, people who intentionally bump their threads on a daily basis. If the price were right or there were interest, this would be unnecessary.

But I agree...many ads are never listed as "complete" and the sellers seem to disappear.

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I beg to differ. I recently sold a lens that had been at the same price for nearly two weeks. I bumped it every few days. We don't get the sort of traffic on the buy-sell forum that a place like ebay does, and my lens was bought be a recent entrant onto the forum, who probably was not here a week earlier. If it's not on the first couple of pages of buy sell listings, it's much less likely to get bought. Not every item is a mainstream item that everyone wants. If only 1% of the forum's audience might be interested in it, that means you'll likely need to have it listed for a while to have it sell, even at the proper price, and after a couple to three days, it's going to be pretty far back if you don't bump it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    There is a search feature, plus I thought it was against the rules. It's one thing to do it once a week or so, but to do it EVERY day is overkill. If everyone did it, it would be pointless bumping.

5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, if it's actually against the rules, it's obviously the most unenforced rule on the entire venue. There being a search feature is not the same as there being a widely used search feature. Besides, many items are sold to folks who are browsing the first page or two, not who are seeking a specific item - and the search feature doesn't sell to those folks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't see a rule about bumping. But there is clearly a rule saying not to bump completed threads. If that was followed there would be less of a need to bump active threads. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't see a problem bumping every other day or so. Every day is overkill.

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I know that this is an issue. I'll go back a few days and see something that is still for sell a week later with no bumps or any additional activity.

The problem is, we have no idea if the item is still for sale.

How if a member had something to sell , bumped it, and left for vacation or a business trip. So basically no activity on the thread for a while. As a mod, I could go into that transaction and delete it, but for all I know the item is still for sale and the member get upset.

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Bumping per-se is not against the TOS. Bumping under a different user name is. Bumping a thread as "sold" or "found" is.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Just a suggestion that might improve the clutter in the Buy/Sell forum: Perhaps make bumping allowed only if there is a price drop or it's been at least 2 days since the last bump.

11. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    If we're voting that suggestion gets my vote. :thumbup:

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There isn't a rule against bumping, but the software only allows bumping once every 24 hours, and people who register a second account to bump more often than that get banned.

I mostly followed the FredMiranda model since a lot of people seem to like buying and selling there. A couple key differences between here and there are that they allow bumping every 12 hours, and they charge for use of that board.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I double checked, and I was wrong about the software settings. It was configured to allow bumping every 8 hours, which does seem excessive. I changed it to allow bumping no more than once every 24 hours.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thanks Amin.

How exactly does the software know that its a "bump" from the seller?

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It just doesn't let you post twice in a row in a thread unless someone else posts in between or 24 hours elapses.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

16. donuts

donuts Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2014
    I'm totally new to this forum stuff.How do you bump? Sounds to me 24 hrs. is right.