Review The "buy cheap, buy twice" (or even thrice) thread.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Post your bargains, which turned out, for you at least, not to be such a bargain after all. Did you eventually purchase the best thing for the job?

I'll start: JJC sliding lens hood for the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro.

On the face of it, a real bargain. A fraction of the price of the Olympus original. After all, it's just a hood. What could possibly go wrong?

Well...quite a lot. The thing is, it is supposed to slide. Not stick, grate and require constant messing around with pencils, lubricants etc. I broke my first one after giving it too firm a tug to slide the thing into place. Not put off, I bought another one - which performed just as badly as the first. So I sold it, at a loss.

Bought the proper Olympus sliding hood. Guess what? It slides - smoothly, and fits, perfectly. Altogether, I spent at least 50% more than I needed to to get something that worked (and definitely not for the first time).

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
The Olympus A200 teleconverter. Found one eventually on eBay for a decent price and waited expectantly for it to arrive. When it did, I tested every lens I could fit it on and was pleasantly surprised that it produced nice pictures, even if a little soft when cropping.

But then I discovered that in reality, the photos were actually softer than a cropped photo taken with just a bare lens. By a not so small margin. The teleconverter looks cool, makes the gear look large and important, but does little in reality that you can't do yourself on the computer.

That's with my copy, anyway. YMMV.

Which reminds me, I must put it on eBay, sigh.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I bought Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN a few years ago, looking for a good m43 prime lens in that approx focal length. Hated it from the word go (not sharp enough, especially on the edges). I later bought a used Panasonic 20mm f1.7, which I had originally decided against because at list price it was more than the Sigma. Should have bought the Panasonic right away.

Real Name
Butch Oakey
I bought Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN a few years ago, looking for a good m43 prime lens in that approx focal length. Hated it from the word go (not sharp enough, especially on the edges). I later bought a used Panasonic 20mm f1.7, which I had originally decided against because at list price it was more than the Sigma. Should have bought the Panasonic right away.
Yeah, did the same thing myself, sigh...

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Most of my bargains have proved quite usable, but there was a set of mixed stepping rings that turned out to be someones practice pieces while using a lathe. None showed what threads they had & the threads on several where too badly cut to fit anything.
Generally they weight more than proper stepping rings too.
I doubt they'll ever prove to be worth the postage despite the large number of stepping rings I use (lots of filters used for IR & I adapt lenses with them too..

Yes I often buy twice, things like picking up a 50mm/1.2 for under £20 (with the parts for adapting) allows me to try alternatives so I have several 135/2.8s & a whole swarm of more standard 50mm primes...

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew L
Had been wanting to try an EM5 Mark II for quite a while, but couldn't resist a really cheap EM5 at a camera store up in Washington, the next state over. Soon after purchase, I found the camera was having the black frame issue wherein the first image taken would often be very dark, as if the exposure was far too low, while subsequent ones at the same settings were fine.

The store took it back via mail, thankfully, and subsequently an EM5 Mark II showed up in their used section online for quite a good price. I grabbed it, and so far it has been quite a pleasant body that looks for all intents and purposes like new.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom