The brand preferred by crook(s)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by MacBook, Aug 23, 2011.

1. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Well, at least the one who bashed in our backdoor yesterday afternoon. Besides the extensive damage to the door frame and the door (the deadlock held firm, though), and my wife's jewelry, and the special birthday necklace we had just bought the day before for my 15-year old daughter, still in the box, a 2TB external hard drive still in the box, and the 42" Panasonic TV, he/she/it showed discretion in other choices. Ignored the two Mac minis and monitors, and instead took the iPad (bought the first day they went on sale, 4/3/2010), my wife's Nook Color, my daughter's iPod Touch 4, and an Asus 1000He netbook.

More centrally to this thread, the crook(s) left on the shelf a Panasonic G3 with the 14-42 kit lens, and two lenses with it (in their lens bags), the Panny 100-300 and 20/1.7. From a drawer, they took the Olympus E-PL1 (unfortunately with the VF-2 attached) and the 14-42 kit lens, but left two other Oly lenses, the 40-150 and m40-150. The also left a Pentax ME Super with 50/2 lens in a drawer, and a Panasonic ZS6 in plain view.

Besides thousands of dollars in insurance claims (our insurance went up 62% this year without any claims in the past, for reasons known only to actuaries and regulators in Florida), and the resultant difficulties in renewal next year, and associated hassles and worries, it makes me wonder if the crook(s) knows something I don't about cameras. :eek:

Fortunately, my wife and daughter came home about 20 minutes after this miscreant had left, from what the only neighbor who heard anything said, and our dog was waiting for them outside the front door, so we're all safe and sound. (He's not a guard dog, obviously.)

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    It's just gear. Glad your family is ok.

Gordon

3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

man that is real strange. I have no idea but I'm guessing if he's a crook his mind is crook also. Probably didn't have big enough pockets.

I hope you can get something back on insurance. I'm very happy for you that he didn't take the G3. If i were the burglar i know what I'd take- gotta get your priorities right!

sad to hear,

icon

4. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Yes, Gordon, I am glad everyone is safe.

icon, maybe he/she/it thought a camera in a drawer (the Oly) was worth two (the two Pannys) on shelves? or something like that.....

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Ah well, time to upgrade to the E-PL2. :)

Good thing you didn't have any Canon gear, it would've all been swiped...

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Sorry for your troubles.

On an insurance note, our auto insurance went up 20%, and the explanation from the broker was (this is a direct copy and paste from the e-mail from my broker) "Unfortunately, I don’t have a very good explanation for the increase, other than the company had an increase to their rates."

Again, sorry for your troubles.

7. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Just two older Canon printers and one scanner, and they didn't want those. :smile:

The house insurance went up for two reasons, basically, and I shopped around to see if any other rates were available. 1. Sinkhole claims have been multiplying like rabbits in central Florida and can cost $50,000 each to evaluate, so it is affecting insurance rates. 2. The company had underrated the windstorm protection, as we have a house built in 1955 not built to 21st century standards for winds. The interesting thing to see is how well this company serves us.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    You can certainly eliminate any of us from this forum as suspects. (We would have taken all the camera gear and left the jewelry.)

Sorry about your loss and I echo Flash.

G

PS- Getting the TV would have been a bit of a chore ... yet no neighbors saw anything?

9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Sorry for the troubles. It's always a horrible feeling when someone violates your home. Glad all of you are safe though.

10. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Actually, the neighbors on one side heard loud hammering and banging, and looked into the backyard and apparently saw a guy with a bandana there. I don't know whether they looked at the front of the house where there must have been a car or truck, and where our cars weren't, but they never called the police! (Same neighbors whose untrimmed in 20+ years laurel oak fell on our house during a hurricane in 2004.)

The TV itself was pretty accessible, and so they just pulled the plugs and took the TV and remote. It would have been a bit heavy for one person, but I think I carried it in myself originally when we bought it two years ago. (They say the newer plasma screens last a long long time.....unless someone removes it from your house!)

11. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Sorry about your loss; that must be infuriating.

12. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Thanks. Disappointed, angry, a bit vulnerable, too. When my wife asked the detective whether they ever recover any stolen goods, the basic answer was no, just as in the Seinfeld episode. Basically, one goes through all these moves to document what happened for safety and insurance purposes, without much hope of catching the criminals.

His taking the Olympus, and especially the VF2, means that ultimately I will stay on my more recent past of Panasonic. The G3 is a pretty nice camera, and with the lenses I have will serve me pretty well.

13. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I'm very sorry for your trouble.

But, at the end of the day, it's only stuff.

The family is fine, all is well.