1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The boys' Christmas party, and I'm the photographer!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Neftun, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    So it is that time og year. The guys gather for poker, traditional food and lots of drink, as all Norwegians do in one way or another. As part of the commitee this year, I was charged with taking photos. I am by no means a pro, and I am not getting paid now. I find taking pics according to others expectations a bit intimidating, to be honest. So I am seeking advice...

I think I have the necessary gear, but I want to keep it simple, as I and everyone will be inebriated, and I don't wanna risk too much:)

I have the following gear (af):

Oly em1
    Oly ep1
    Oly 12-40
    Oly 45
    Oly 75
    PL 25
    Pana 14
    Tripod
    Nikon sb26 flash

Everyone will be shot individually as they enter, probably striking a silly pose. There will be a pokerchampion being handed a trophy, and live music. We will start early, finish late. I want to catch some candid shots, not too much posing.

Any advice on what to bring, or rather what to leave behind? Should I bother with the flash? I would bounce it off the walls or ceiling, as ttl is a no-go.

Thanks!

Patrick K

2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Em1, 12-40, flash
    Set on auto-everything
    Turn on the camera and flash
    Shoot

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Sounds like a good plan. Definitely the body and lens I'd pick.

4. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    If you can get any kind of diffuser for the flash I'd recommend it.

5. Ver7igo

Ver7igo Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2012
    I agree with the EM1 + 12-40 + flash w/ diffuser recommendations. I was asked to take photos for a family event a couple weeks back and this combo did the trick. I also swapped the 12-40 with the 75 a couple times for some candid shots.

6. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Aight, I'll bring the flash. But I think the 25 will come along as well. Can't beat that for indoor snapshots:)

Patrick K

7. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    So the party did eventually end, and what a night it was!

I did bring the flash and the zoom, but I remembered how much I hate flash photography in an uncontrolled, social environment. So the flash and 12-40 did not see much use, but the 25 and 45 served their purpose splendidly. I just bumped up the limit on auto-iso to 5000, tweaked the b/w settings a bit, and got hundreds of great pics! Hardly any need for pp. Check out on flickr:)

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/95479878@N02/sets/72157638731910924/

Patrick K

• Like Like x 1
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Nice set. Pity I didn't get an invite!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Patrick!

I hope the pistols were props - one fella has his finger inside the trigger guard..:eek:.

(Looks like you had a really nice time; nice choice to abandon the flash and up the ISO :2thumbs:).

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  10. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Thank, Jim.

Yea, all toy weapons..:) real guns and alcohol is a bad combination:/

Patrick K

11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    :2thumbs:

Toy guns here are supposed to have a minimum 6mm orange tip on the business end of the barrel. Of course the tip can be removed or painted over, but that is leaving the path of wisdom. Every once 'n a while a police officer encounters a kid with a modified toy (no orange tip) with generally tragic results :frown:.

Is the theme for your party different each year? (And, considering the neat results of your work - will you be "volunteering" to take the photos again?)

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  12. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Assuming you live in the states, I have heard of such tragic events. Here in Norway there are no such laws, and the police rarely carry firearms, and even rarer ammo, not even after 22/7.

This year, the fifteenth in a row, and tenth for me, was the first with a theme at all. We usually just play poker, eat, drink, and get stupid. This year there was i bit more to it with live music, a cigarvendor having a presentation with cigars, fine portwine and armanac, and the 50's mafia theme. Everyone loved it:) i was given an offer I cannot refuse, so I'll be "volunteering" next year as well;)

Patrick K

• Like Like x 1