1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The "Big, Heavy, DSLR"...

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by RT_Panther, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    A 4x5 dSLR? That would be sweet in real life. Would put the Pentax 6x7 to shame ;)

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I love stuff like this. After all, I spent my youth building model airplanes that weren't nearly as impressive.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    As long as the purchase price included a couple of servants to carry it and set it up for you. :)

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
  5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Good Lord, I never knew they made such a thing! I used to have a Mamiya C220 like the one in the picture and the Gowland dwarfs it! :eek:

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    These things tend to come up on ebay about once a month. Usually they sell for under $1000 unless multiple buyers are intent on getting one. Which is impressive value because the two lenses are each worth over $200 if you were to try to buy them separately on ebay - and this is a precision made camera of which fewer than 1000 were ever made.

Shipping tends to be expensive, though :biggrin:

Apparently, they were very much desired by some of the greatest portraitists ever, including Gowland, obviously, who invented and built them because he desired TLR convenience with large format image size. Other owner/users included Annie Leibovitz, Yusef Karsh, Phillipe Halsmann, the FBI, and the U.S. Navy.

7. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    I remember reading about those back in the 70s, or maybe even the late 60s. I'd still want a couple of porters to carry them around for me.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    He also made a 5x7 version and an 8x10 version. Apparently, he made less than a dozen of the 8x10s (and over 600 of the 4x5s). He himself did not like the 8x10 version because it was so immense.

http://www.petergowland.com/camera/CameraPageImages/8x10flex.jpg

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
  11. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    A 5x7 focal plane shutter! I suspect it wasn't much good at stopping fast action. :smile:

12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
  13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green