1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The bestlightweight legacy lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by timbuktwo, Sep 6, 2012.

1. timbuktwo

timbuktwo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2012
    What do you folks think? As a basis of comparison, the Panny 14mm 2.5 is 1.94 oz (55 g). The Oly 14-42 R II is 3.9 oz (111 g). And for fun, Pentax C22525KP 1" C Mount 25mm f/1.4 Manual Iris Lens is4.8 oz (135 g).

2. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    The Pentax Auto 110 system lenses are some of the smallest, lightest lenses that will cover the m4/3 image circle (110 frame: 17 × 13 mm, m4/3: 17.3 mm × 12.98 mm). They're all f/2.8 aperture, and all lack a diaphragm, which is provided by the original camera body (and one m4/3 mount adapter).

18mm 27g
    hyperfocal fixed focus 18mm 29g
    24mm 13g
    50mm 57g
    70mm 160g
    20-40mm zoom 174g

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have the Pentax 110 18mm, 24mm and 50mm lenses. They are good and easy to use. The 24mm is the smallest; I have big hands and can still use it, although it is a bit tricky at times. They focus fairly close by themselves and Pentax made close up diopters that allow even closer focus. I think the 50mm is the best of the three. They are also very affordable. I paid about $25 each for mine and that included the close up set for the 24 and 50. There is also another 18mm with fixed focus, a 20-40mm zoom and a 70mm. These three are very rare and thus have bigger price tags when you can find them that is.

There is an adaptor that has a built in iris found here - pen 110 lens mount adapter for mFT, with built-in IRIS

I have yet to try this but I plan too real soon.

Some other small and affordable lightweights would include the Rokkor Minolta 45mm and the Nikon E series lenses{28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 100mm and 135mm}.

• Like Like x 1
  4. timbuktwo

timbuktwo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2012
    Wow, I'm glad I asked! How do you find the image quality? From the samples I've seen on flickr, they look great.

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Cine and other C-mount lenses are also very small and light.

7. speedandstyle

The IQ of the P110 lenses is as good or better than the Olympus kit lenses. They don't tend to flare too bad and have decent bokeh. I have never noticed any vignetting from the Pentax 110 50mm lens! The 24mm does a tiny bit and the 18mm just a bit more. It is very slight however and usually not noticeable except in test shooting. The image size is almost exactly the same between 110 film and m4/3. 110 film is 17mm x 13mm and m4/3 is 18mm x 13.5mm. C-mounts vignette because they were meant for 10.25mm x 7.5mm.

The Minox is a very rare camera that can be costly and then you have to custom modify it to fit. There are many other cameras that could have their lenses pulled off and modified for m4/3. Any of the old half frame cameras would be good for instance. Which reminds me of the Olympus Pen F. It's lenses are smaller and lighter, however they also bring a big price.

8. timbuktwo

timbuktwo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2012
    On the low light front, i found these two.

Minolta Rokkor 45mm f2 120g
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens*130g

These two seem like a nice inexpensive way to 'replace' the 25 1.4 gap in my kit.

Keep em coming, especially the low light ones.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    The Pentax lenses vignette. Check the link I posted earlier.

The Minox isn't that rare. Working cameras can cost up to $100, but broken ones are cheap. I've seen them go by for $6. It's usually the solenoids that give up the ghost. It's really not that hard to fix. Regardless, for someone who just wants the lens there's nothing wrong with buying a sub $20 broken solenoid Minox. Here's a tip. Don't even try to save the camera while taking the lens off. I did that and it was a hassle. To many tiny little parts and other parts that can be easily reached. After struggling for a couple of hours I just pried the camera apart. If I had done that to begin with, I could have liberated the lens in about 2 mins.

10. speedandstyle

I have one of these and it is a pretty good lens. Fairly sharp for what was their cheapy lens. BUT the bokeh can be weird! It has a five bladed aperture and thus highlights will show up as pentagrams! Other out of focus spots my have strange angles instead of smooth blur. If you open it all the way to f2 the bokeh is round and smooth but stop it down and it isn't.

With the adaptor fitted it is shorter than the Oly kit lens when in use and just longer than it when stored. It weighs more than the kit lens but that is because the adaptors are made of metal. I think the adaptor is the same weight as the lens itself, or at least close.

11. speedandstyle

I have not watched for this camera but I checked several used dealers and they had none. There are two on ebay right now, the cheaper one is $150. I am sure knowing the nature of ebay that a busted one does show up every now and then for a low price but it isn't the norm.

I would like to see how you adapted yours however. I will watch for one and if I do find that $6 bargain I will snag it up. Does this lens have a 2 bladed aperture? It looks like that from some of the pictures I found online. If so that would make weird bokeh.

12. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Here's one for $9.99 with no takers. Shipping for $15 kind of kills the deal.

MINOX 35 EL Camera with Leather Case and Flash Attachment | eBay

Also it comes with the flash, case and box which ups the price. If it was busted as/is sale and only the camera it would be cheaper.

I'm going to do a simple lenscap mounting. The NEX guys are the ones that have gone sophisticated. There's one NEX user who found a bunch of NOS lenses that were never mounted and hired someone in China to mount them onto a NEX mount. So it's a "native" NEX Minotar lens.

13. speedandstyle

OK, I see what my problem was. The camera is named 35 EL and the lens is named Minotar. Thanks! Right now I am busted but will keep an eye out for a 35 EL. I do have an old Argus C3 and was thinking about pulling the lens off it and adapting it for m43. I have found several articles on how to do this with various old lenses. I just find it hard to demolish a camera, even if it is busted, goes against my photographic grain!

14. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    I would search for "Minox 35". EL is just one of the models. GT is another.

I also have a Argus lens ready to go. Those just pop right off since they were interchangable.

15. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    Of full-frame converts, Olympus OM Zuikos have top-notch optics and (relatively) low weight... I think the 50/1.8 is about 170g + whatever the adapter weighs.

16. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
  17. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    The Elmar 3.5's and their copies are fairly small/light and often have superb IQ. A lens shade is a necessity. The Pentax 110 lenses are indeed tiny a lot of fun and will give great results even with their various 'faults'. The last I checked a reasonably priced stop down adapter was still wanting

18. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    The 24mm ones are so tiny and cheap that it's reasonable to "preset" a bunch of them at various aperatures and carry them around in a pocket. It's much cheaper than buying the adapter with an aperature. Some cardboard with the apropriate sized hole works well.

19. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The Argus C series lenses use a thread mount. You simply unscrew them. If you have a C3, instead of a C2 or C, you must first unscrew cover on the RF connecting gear and lift off the gear.

20. timbuktwo

timbuktwo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 27, 2012
    What do you folks recommend in the 20-25 mm legacy low light glass? I'm extremely close to going with the pentax 25 1.4 cctv lens, but I don't know how satisfied I will be with the sharpness. I haven't seen too many options under 200 grams...