1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

...the best with what you have

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Spaceghost33, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    O.K., so this is one of those, "the best camera is the one you have with you" cases. My wife and I just spend an excruciating 8 days at Children's Memorial Hospital here in Chicago with our 5 year old son Jack (many of you have seen other pics I've posted to my gallery and even some he shot w/ my GF1). I came across this scene while taking a "break". The only tool I had was my iPhone. I captured this and a few others just to get some "shooting" to pass the time. The GF1 was at home. Edited on the iPhone as well. Certainly not the best photo I've ever made, but it will always be a special reminder to me that nothing should be taken for granted, especially your child's health.

I'm happy to say he's back home now doing much, much better. We are blessed.

Photography as therapy?? :smile:

Waiting1.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm really glad to know that Jack is doing well. We were lucky with our kids when they were young, but it doesn't take much to scare you and I can't imagine going through something serious. So good for that.

And, sure, photography as therapy. I've used cycling as therapy, music as therapy, photography as therapy - anything you love doing can qualify!

-Ray

3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I'm happy to hear your son is doing better. Photos are good no matter what camera.

4. I am happy that your son is doing better.

Photography is about capturing moments we treasure, and it is a tool to turn them into visual memories. Therefor is quite therapeutic at most times. It is a magical escpe for all of us.

As for things being qualified as "best" in life. "The Best" is only is in the eye of the beholder. Just enjoy the best moments, as they will be gone tomorrow.

5. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Thanks for the image and note. Glad to hear everything is improving. I have been thru something like this with my son a few years back but for only 3 days. Eight days must have felt like an eternity! I think your image portrays the monotony of waiting and the helplessness you feel when all you can do is hope and pray. Wishing and praying that Jack continues to have a speedy and full recovery. John

6. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    I'm happy to hear your son is doing much better, it's always a scare when a little kid doesn't want to trash the house. Health it's one of those things we take for granted, and notice only when something hurts.

Your image it's great, it really made me think, that's what photography is all about.

I wish your son a speedy recovery.

7. Spaceghost33

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    This really is a fantastic community. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

8. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Great photograph. Great news.

9. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    So happy to hear your son is doing better. I like the photo too.

10. dsteady

dsteady Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    Chicago
    Great shot, and born from a sentiment I can understand. I have an 3 and 6 year old. Glad to know your son is doing better.

I was in Argentina recently and some of my favorite shots were done on my iPhone.

Check out the 'camerabag' app if you haven't got it already.

11. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm glad your son is doing better. When I saw the chair, I first thought hospital, and the shot immediately made me think hospital, and those days I spent hoping my husband would get better. (He did.)

12. Lili

Lili Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Glad Jack is better, and that is a very evocative shot.
    Thank you for sharing the background and the image
    HUGZ

13. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Thank you for taking time to share with this community.

I'm very happy to hear that your son is doing better, my thoughts are with you.

Alan

14. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    The empty chair looking out over a rather sterile cityscape gave me a feeling of the lonelyness and isolation you must have felt, being forced to entrust your most precious connection in the world to the care of others. Much love to you guys and especially to Jack

Peter

15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Glad to hear your son is improving.

Love the photo. I've looked at it several times now and I still pause when I see it.

Gordon

16. Spaceghost33

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Thanks everyone. I'm glad I was able to convey my feelings through the photo. Therapeutic. I appreciate the words of concern.

17. Spaceghost33

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Thanks dsteady. I agree about CameraBag. I use that quite a bit.