The best thing with Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Danny_SWE, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)

The file numbering system!

I really don't like the consecutive numbering of other systems I tried. Almost as I feel like renaming them on import but hasn't had the patience to figure out a good way to do it :)

Also, I think there should be a way of changing it in the camera body :) have looked deeply in my Panasonic manuals but haven't found such a feature.
  2. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Not sure about other software, but Lightroom allows you to rename files on import (naming scheme is configurable, I use [shoot name] [number]). Oly allows you to change the prefix of the filenames in the menu.

Apparently the E-M1II will allow you to create folders from the camera (not sure if change between folders as well, but probably) - so this will get even better.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    Adobe Bridge and Lightroom both do renaming on import....I use Lightroom and YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS-XXX where 'XXX' is an incrementing number so if I shoot a series at 10 frames per second it will uniquely name them still. Have used that for ten years +.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Yes, I agree. I love the flexibility of the Oly numbering. I also use Canon DSLRs (80D; 60D; SL1) and you are stuck with this antiquated numbering. I even shot enough with my 60D that the naming rolled around and started over (I think at 9,999). Yeah, really nice. :( So, as other have mentioned, I resort to renaming files from different Canon bodies so I can easily distinguish them. Olympus is so much better!