The best thing with Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Danny_SWE, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    is...

The file numbering system!

I really don't like the consecutive numbering of other systems I tried. Almost as I feel like renaming them on import but hasn't had the patience to figure out a good way to do it :)

Also, I think there should be a way of changing it in the camera body :) have looked deeply in my Panasonic manuals but haven't found such a feature.

2. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM Subscribing Member

Not sure about other software, but Lightroom allows you to rename files on import (naming scheme is configurable, I use [shoot name] [number]). Oly allows you to change the prefix of the filenames in the menu.

Apparently the E-M1II will allow you to create folders from the camera (not sure if change between folders as well, but probably) - so this will get even better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    Adobe Bridge and Lightroom both do renaming on import....I use Lightroom and YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS-XXX where 'XXX' is an incrementing number so if I shoot a series at 10 frames per second it will uniquely name them still. Have used that for ten years +.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Yes, I agree. I love the flexibility of the Oly numbering. I also use Canon DSLRs (80D; 60D; SL1) and you are stuck with this antiquated numbering. I even shot enough with my 60D that the naming rolled around and started over (I think at 9,999). Yeah, really nice. :( So, as other have mentioned, I resort to renaming files from different Canon bodies so I can easily distinguish them. Olympus is so much better!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.