1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The best thing about the GF2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by linkedit, Nov 14, 2010.

1. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
  2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Good point.
    The second best thing is that it is stretching our minds and blogs over what comes next (if anything).

3. yaleboy

yaleboy New to Mu-43

Oct 22, 2010
  4. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice buy. That's what I bought too, back in December. I them added the 14-45 lens and two legacy lenses.
    Enjoy

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    And yet Amazon is still selling it for $680 with the kit lens? Odd.

Since I already have the 20, if I wanted one of these cameras, and if the GF2 is supposed to come in at the same basic price point as the gf1, I'd probably wait and get that one with the 28 (err, scuse me, the 14), which I might want anyway. I have no problem with moving the mode dial to the touch screen.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  6. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    as far as panasonic is concerned, the gf2 is an improved model over the gf1. i'd expect the price to be $800 or higher.

7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Please don't confuse things further, the lens has a focal length of 14mm, that is a physical fact, the laws of physics apply, and that is how the lens should be referred to.

Barrie

8. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Barrie, you are correct, however, it could still be years yet before us "oldies" stop thinking in 35mm terms. With 35mm cameras a 28mm lens is 28mm, but a 14mm digital lens will act as a 28mm on a µ43 camera but something very different on a APS-C type for example.

9. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    If I we're a rich man, I would go give it a spin. Even though I'm still loving, my good old GF1…

Now would be a great time to recommend the GF1 for friends. So much value for the money :)

10. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    I agree with you; GF2, imho, seems more a marketing move than a real improved camera respect the GF1.... indeed GF1 has more semi-pro features, while GF2 is more user-friendly such as Oly E-PL1 and Sony Nex.

In conclusion, I hold tight my GF1 :smile:

p.s. I hope my english is quite understandable :redface:

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    You'll note that I added in parenthesis that it is in fact 14. Please forgive me the occasional brain fart as my feeble mind still thinks in terms of 35mm equivalents (whether anyone else likes it or not!). I was thinking of the lens as a 28, re-read my message, and edited to add the parenthesis. I admire your desire to see the whole 35mm equivalent thing eliminated, but some of us just think that way, best intentions aside.

-Ray

12. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hi Ray,

I did indeed note your use of parenthesis, and it would have been fairer of me to have given the whole quote in my response, for that I apologise.

My main concern in raising this issue was the confusion generated to newbies. People are welcome to think how they like in visualising the effects of a particular focal length lens on a particular format, but the plethora of ideas can be confusing. Time will tell I guess.

Barrie

13. ChristopheG

ChristopheG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    I have no problem with moving the mode dial to the touch screen. That's a dynamic change.

14. panystac

panystac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 14, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    I've had a play with a GF2 in the last few days. In spite of no dial, it seems to be quite easy and intuitive to use. And it SMALL, particularly with the 14mm pancake!!!!!

One useful thing is that you can use the touch screen to designate a focus point that the camera will follow around, until you take the shot!!

15. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Try it - you might like it!

It amazes me how many people dislike a camera they haven't even used. I think the touch screen actually adds another level of user ease. It was clear to me that it is positioned as Panasonic's gateway into the G series cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kiyohiko

Kiyohiko Mu-43 Rookie

that's an awesome price...

The japanese got an even better deal, @ roughly US$527 for the 20mm kit.

DMC-GF1C-K

Obviously, all sold out :p

I'm tempted to buy one, but I think I should wait a bit more, until the GF2 is released around here. Buying from the US, I'll pay around C$650.

17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    that's why ppl don't like it, well.. the existing GF1 users anyway. They dumbed it down some.

It's not that the GF2 is bad, it's more that the idea that panasonic is leaving the enthusiast behind for the general market. It's the same reason the 50D owners were not happy with the 60D, canon redefined what they were marketing after.

luckily, the GF1 didn't suddenly become crap =) So I can wait and see what panasonic has in store. Personally, while my initial reaction was negative for where they are taking the GF line, I can live with it. So long as it doesn't get completely crippled in it's future iterations (or panasonic decides to follow oly and do two compact lines).

18. Vince

Vince New to Mu-43

Dec 17, 2010
    I hope Panasonic has improved the color rendition on the GF2. I had a GF1 and sold it 'cause I couldn't get the color right no matter what. Shooting RAW and PP in Lightroom and Photoshop didn't help much. Landscapes and architecture shots were nice, but the camera can't get skin tones and the sky color right. I heard this was the only problem with the GF1 and not the G series line.

19. Auntiepode

Auntiepode Mu-43 Regular

Don't worry. Your English is fine.