The "best" settings for e-pl2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by binzaqr, Aug 26, 2011.

1. binzaqr

binzaqr New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2011
    Greetings ,
    This is my first post here :)

I am a novice photographer and am trying to develop myself and learn more, I had used several compact cameras, but i feel that i still need more.
    so I purchased E-PL2 after seeing many reviews & realy good images from different users in this forum and on internet.

but these days i feel some kind of continuous disappointments cause I’m feeling that my photos are not so sharp or really good quality as my previous smaller sensor canon S95!!! I don’t want to blame my camera but i blame my skills & experience because I’m seeing other forum members had always gorgeous photos.

as you all a senior users for M4/3 system please advice me, Is there any settings that I should used? any adviced sttings make my pics sharper and colourful?? I had read a lot about photography and trying to get better but I don’t know why I didn’t had any progress with this great little camera while other do? what did i miss???

Also, is there any recommended lenses according to portraiture, weddings & landscapes?

In conclusion, I believe that the camera is a "tool" in the hands of "artist" and I aspire to be an artist like you and others

Thank you all

2. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Post some of your photos with the E-PL2, tell us what you hoped to bring out in the shot, perhaps we can help a bit ...

Oh yes, and my own experience -

Portrait - 50mm and wide aperture (< f2 for bokeh)
    Landscape - 20mm or less tight aperture (> f5 for all-over sharpness)
    Weddings - 2 cameras ready with the following lenses: a) 40-200mm zoom for reach b) 20mm f1.7 for low-light and wider view.

(Not an expert, but I can grab a few cool shots with Oly Pens ...)

3. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    You can also post process your E-PL2 images a little to make them exactly as you want to see them. If you don't have any software, you can download FastStone Image Viewer for free and not only can you view your images in much more detail than the default windows viewer, but you can adjust real fast all the image settings such as sharpness, sat, RGB, highlights, shadows, etc etc.

For me personally, for landscapes for instance, I like to use the natural setting on my E-PL2 with +2 for sat, +2 for con and +2 for sharpness, but like I said, all can be greatly manipulated in a matter of seconds with FastStone Image Viewer or if you have photoshop then the sky's the limit.

4. binzaqr

binzaqr New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2011
    Thank you all,
    Ill try my best and post here to improve my skills
    Best wishes

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

5. binzaqr

binzaqr New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2011
    I apologize, i just want to edit my post by adding "And looking to read from other forum members"
    but i dublicate it and dont know how to delete it
    Im sory

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Are you using the kit lens and default settings?
    For shooting in jpeg, I select Noise Filter OFF for up to ISO800 and NF- LOW (ISO800-1600) and I do not shoot above ISO1600. Also, I often switch between i-enchance and natural modes. It is better to select your own focus point than letting the camera to do so or use center focus point. Also, watch your shutter speed, for portraits you need 1/30s at the very minimum and 1/100s for ultimate sharpness. Even the kit zoom in mid range should give you photos substantially sharper than Canon S95. I own S90 and the sharpness doesn't compare.