The Best of Your Best . . . Lens!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by danelkins, Oct 27, 2013.

1. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

Okay, we all know that the best camera is the one you have with you when a photographic opportunity presents itself. AND we all have our favorite lens be it a zoom for convenience or a prime for its large aperture. This thread is about "your best lens IQ". Please share your optical sweetness with us all – and talk about your lens not a picture from someone else.

My best (so far) is my P20mm 1st version with the P12-35mm @12mm just as good but limited to WA use. I have only used the Panasonic 14mm, 20mm, 12-35mm, 45-200mm, 100-300, Olympus 12-50 and 45mm. So my experience is minor in the M43 area.
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    it's hard to choose one best photo, especially when you think it has to come from "the best lens" you own. but I can show off how good the P25 1.4 wide open is

P1090510 by jyc860923, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    For me it's impossible to choose just one lens because of different purposes, but my most treasured piece of glass is my inherited 50mm 1.4 oly from my great grandfather. It holds a sentimental value and colors are just on point.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    for me, its 12-50 definetly... for its nice zoom range, filter size, macro mod and water seal ability and for the price :)
  5. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Since this is in the general discussion I will go off the beaten track and say it's definitely my Mamiya 80mm f/1.9. Neither of these shots were at 1.9, but wide open it allows you to shoot 400 film until dusk and pull your subject right out of the background even with some serious subject to camera distance (such as shooting full length portraits).

• Like Like x 2
  6. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    My best zoom is my EF-s 17-55 2.8 I S USM. I can't say I have great affection for that optic--it's bulky and expensive--but IQ is so good wide open I kept an APS-C (7D) camera just to keep using it. Plus it focuses uber fast and the 3 stops of IS really work for me. Back alley in Venice (40D & 17-55 2.8 IS USM):

My best prime is probably my EF 200 2.L USM but I don't use it much anymore. My favorite prime is actually my Olympus 17 1.8. It's not the fastest, sharpest or smallest tool in the shed but somehow the combination of elements work perfectly and I rarely remove it from my E-P3. Maybe being metal and retro cute have something to do with it. I hate plastic crap. Queen's Tree at Queen's Hospital in Honolulu (E-P3 & 17 1.8):

• Like Like x 1
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    OP asked for best IQ. For me, that's easily the 75/1.8. It's the sharpest lens I've ever used, bar none (and that includes some L lenses back in my 5dii days).