1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The Best macro lens for MFT ??Any suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Bhupinder2002, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dear Friends
    I am in search of a decent macro lens for my Olympus P3. I tried olympus Zuiko 35 mm with adaptor but its frustrating to focus . I was wondering if there are better proven and tested alternatives available ? My budget is around USD500.
    Regards
    Bhupinder

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I like the Leica 45mm....:smile:

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    macro and focussing are never going to be easy. macro and autofocus.....forget about it

K

4. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Even with the PEN's 7x/10x MF assist? I found it invaluable at pinning down critical focus on the EP AF lenses...but never tried it with something with as shallow a DoF as a macro. Though equally you'd need to tripod mount your gear to keep it all sharp enough for macro shots, so I still reckon the MF assist would help here.

But looking forward to being corrected....before I spend $500 proving myself wrong :blush: So keenly watching this thread for similar lens choice advice.

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Don't try to use autofocus with that lens, or any macro for that matter. For best results, set the camera to manual focus, set the focus to a specific distance (such as 8 inches in front of the lens), and physically move the camera further and closer to the subject to achieve focus.

• Like Like x 1
  6. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    If you plan to go the MF way (adapted lens), I'd recommend Kiron 105mm f2.8. It's just awesome. You can't get it new though, so you'll have to find one on e-bay.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I just ordered one...

8. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
  9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X3 - And the touch screen focus point works GREAT for macro, obviously with a tripod.

Will probably need to up your budget a hair for this lens though. They usually go for $600 used

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is also the macro lens I use. Technically the Vivitar branded version, but it is the same lens made by the same manufacturer (Vivitar 100mm/2.8 with serial # starting in 22, Kiron 105mm/2.8, or Lester A Dine 105mm/2.8 Dental Macro). It is very good indeed, and has a legendary reputation.

As far as HOW to properly focus the macro lens, Schnitz described it best:

11. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Cheaper alternative and at least as good: a Minolta Macro 100/4. The Nikkor 105/4 went on eBay within a week after having tested the Minolta 100/4 against it. The Kiron went away earlier, too much CA to my taste.

12. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I have the Lester Dine 105mm and it doesn't exhibit a lot of CA even wide open. I usually stop it down to f8-f11 though, and CA is almost non-existent. May be it differs from copy to copy.

13. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I use either enlarging lenses or diopters for macro work. I have the Tokina 90/2.5 that I use occasionally as well. All can be had for less than $500, but they're manual focus.