The Best Deal in Micro Four Thirds, Period

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 18, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

The Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens retails for $275 at Amazon and sells for more than that at most retailers. I paid about $300 for mine, and it has been one of my favorite lenses, in fact my single most used lens, ever since.

If I had to pick a single two lens kit for Micro 4/3, price not a factor, it would be the Panasonic 14mm wide angle pancake and the Olympus 45mm portrait lens.

The Panasonic 14 is:
    • ... the smallest, lightest native lens for Micro 4/3
    • ... one of the fastest focusing lenses for Micro 4/3
    • ... extremely sharp even wide open
    • ... a full stop faster than the kit zooms
    • ... capable of delivering pleasing bokeh (out of focus blur)

However, what makes the Panasonic 14mm lens the best deal in all of MFT-dom* is that Ebay retailers are splitting the lens off from camera-lens kits and selling the lens brand new for $160 (Ebay US) or £99 (Ebay UK). Edit: Some of our UK members have mentioned that VAT and custom fees significantly add to the cost there. Sorry I overlooked this.

Ebay US**: Panasonic 14 mm f/2.5 ASPH

Ebay UK***: Panasonic 14 mm f/2.5 ASPH

The Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens has always been a great value, but now it's a no brainer.

*Obviously this is just my personal, subjective opinion. If you have a different take on the best deal in MFT-dom, by all means share it a reply!
    **When you buy something on Ebay after clicking any Ebay link on our site, they give us a small referral credit. Your price is not affected.
    ***I have no idea whether we get referral credit from Ebay UK.

• Like Like x 18
  2. captevo

captevo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Totally agree with you on this.
    I got mine from ebay $160.
    It's even sharper than the 20mm with faster AF.

3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Wow, this is crazy. At this price, I might just buy one to have it =) Though, realistically, I need to put everything into a 75 or 35-100, ha. tempting though.

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I pair mine with what arguably may be the best deal on m43 bodies: the E-PM1.

• Like Like x 2
  5. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I regret buying mine...it may be cheap, but I still wasted $175 because I never use it. Wrong focal length for me, but at least I know that now!

6. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    definitely a great bargain... bought mine off ebay for $125 new (parted from a kit) and have had it on my OMD since I got it... put it thru it's paces in a photoshoot and was quite impressed.... gives the OMD a kind of stealthy look with a 3rd party lens hood....
    here's a shot I took with it playing around with my new gorillapod
    P5130363.

• Like Like x 2
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Like Amin, I have more pictures from my P14 than any other lens.

8. eltictac

eltictac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    I'm really tempted to get this for my holiday. It might get here just in time if I buy it now. I've got the Panasonic 20mm which I love and use more than anything else. But I do sometimes miss the little bit of extra width I can get at 14mm with my kit lens. But it just isn't as sharp as the 20mm. I think this could be me talking myself into buying it!

9. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    dammit. i knew there was a reason why i stopped going to this forum for a bit. I can't be tempted right now.

love the pix of the first and last v8 ///m3. I miss her so much. but i'm actually diggin my e46 m3. not as much power, but just feels more raw.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Mine just arrived from eBay the other day, it's a great value if you need a wide-angle lens that's for sure.

By the way, I didn't know there was an eBay affiliate link - I've purchased a few things there recently and would have liked to support the site.

11. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    The ebay deals are keeping the price low on the local used market too. I bought one for $150 off Craigslist a few days ago. I posted about this, including a link to pictures from my first day with the lens here in this other mu-43 thread about the 14mm lens:

https://www.mu-43.com/f38/pana-14-reasons-cheerful-25723/#post252873

I really like the lens so far and I agree, it's a no-brainer at current prices. :smile:

--Warren

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's complicated, but we dont actually have an affiliate code for Ebay. However, there is a script in place (Viglink) that automatically rewrites any link to Ebay such that we get credit for anyone who goes to Ebay via an Ebay link on the site. So whereas you could bookmark our Amazon or B&H affiliate links and use them without visiting this site, we don't get credit for Ebay referrals unless you actually click an Ebay link on this site. Thanks for supporting the site!

• Like Like x 1
  13. nowel_g

nowel_g Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2012
    St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
    Nowel Garcia
    Order one last week!

I ordered one from ebay to pair up with my E-PL2. I cant wait for it to arrive. I want to use it for some street photography yet at 28mm equivalent seems a bit odd focal length for that purpose. But at $160...who cares!! :smile: I'll just crop in a bit. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mandoo

Mandoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Essex, UK
    I've just bought one of these this week for £100, but haven't been able to test it yet due to work and bad weather. I hope to give it a try over the weekend though. At that price its not an issue if I don't get on with it as I'll easily sell it on without too much loss.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    I received mine last Monday and it's better than I expected. Really loving this tiny piece of glass.

Hey Mandoo my gear is almost identical to yours, just that I have a G1 and a FZ18, but the lenses are exactly the same.

16. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Im interested in the focus speed and which one is faster, the 14mm or the 20mm.

Im currently looking through the forums now.

17. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    The 14 is for sure faster focusing than the 20, and more quiet too.

18. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I think the twin Sigmas are probably the better value in M43. At 199 each, you get a warranty and the street price should inevitably go down.

If size isn't a issue, then the Sigma lens is probably a better every day lens and if size is a issue, probably better off buying the GF3 kit and saving some money.

19. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    No doubt this is a great lens for the price. I am not as much into wide angle but I can carry this with me always and never worry about the quality of the result.

But 28mm is the classic field of view for street! Some famous photographers preferred 35mm but generally 28mm is it.