1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The best and the most inexpensive 200/2.8 lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ahson, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ahson

ahson Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 24, 2011
    As topic...please advise

• Like Like x 1
  2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, those are horribly competing metrics. If there was one that was clearly the best, and it was also the most inexpensive, then the other ones wouldn't really exist. The best is not likely to be the most inexpensive; quite the opposite. Canon made one that performs all right, for the FD mount. Nikon made a 180mm f/2.8, because their 200mm lens is f/2.0. If you want "best," Zeiss has one, but you'll be paying 4 times more for it than you would for a Canon FD. Minolta had a Rokkor 200mm, as well as a newer alpha mount 200mm lens. Olympus' telephoto lenses were also weird focal lengths, so you will be looking at a 180mm f/2.8.

3. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The Nikon 180/2.8 is superb. And the value goes up a lot with the older body versions that look like plastic. Nobody really wants the plastic ones, but their optics are great. Even the metal AF-D version is relatively cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There's a Vivitar Series 1 200mm f/3 which is quite nice and inexpensive.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ahson

ahson Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 24, 2011
    I shouldn't say great but inexpensive because I know some of you must come after me and say there is no such thing. :)

What I am looking for is a not too expensive lens that will break my wallet, but in a relatively good picture IQ.

I am planning to use the 200mm lens for indoor so a fast lens will be great.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, the Vivitar Series 1 would definitely fit that description. :) The last one I almost scooped up in town here was for $175.

7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Pentax-M 200/f4 is a fantastic performer and cheap, but it's slow.

Pentax-K 200/f2.8 is a fantastic performer and fast, but cheap it ain't...

To be honest it works like this: fast - good - cheap - pick any two :)

8. I second the Vivitar. I can't imagine how a 200/F2 would feel on an E-PL1, but this lens helped cause the screws to come loose on my OM adapter! It weighs about 800g. I managed to find one NOS here in the Middle East for around $100. Some handheld images from it are in the sample lens gallery.
    https://www.mu-43.com/f81/vivitar-200mm-f3-series-1-om-komine-image-thread-10715/

Ned, any samples from yours? Didn't know anyone else here had one!

Cheers, Tom

9. I just noticed you are looking for an indoor lens. Must be a big indoors! The tennis image I linked to above was taken in artificial light in an outdoor stadium.
    Cheers, Tom