the best af mode for shooting football?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Triggertrevor, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Triggertrevor

Triggertrevor Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi all i'm new to the football thing but enjoy it a lot but the problem i've been having is getting everything in focus.
    I am shooting with a Pan G5 body with the 35-100 zoom lens
    I have tried continuous af but the frame rate was too slow so i switched to auto focus single.
    Now i set my focus point to 1 area with a small box and this improved but now i'm wondering wether to enlarge the focus box a little and try that or wether to try af tracking which i'm thinking could get confused with so many bodies in the frame or to try face detection.

Please take a look at my gallery for football shots already taken

Answers on a post card would be great

cheers Kev
  2. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    The 35-100 is a lovely lens but it's always going to be difficult for the camera to focus on specifically the object (person?) you want, particularly if there's a lot of movement - both the person and probably where you're pointing it, if you're zoomed in trying to keep up with the action.

Have you tried manual focus? Start with as small an aperture as you can get away with (due to light levels) as that gives you the largest margin for error on the focus. Once you get more practiced you can open the aperture again and start getting some lovely narrow depth of field shots.

Rather than keep missing shots because of the camera's autofocus I'd start with manual, focus on something about the right distance away while it's static and stick with that setting. A sports equivalent to zone focussing if you like - see if you haven't come across that.

Or just accept that you're going to have 2-3 matches where most photos miss as you play with the settings and just try them all out - the camera will behave differently for you than for everybody else, so try each focus setting in turn, take 10-20 pictures (note which ones are on which setting) and when you get home, take a look at which ones work best.

It's not going to be easy, but that's half the fun of it :)
  3. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    yup, what he said. you will improve your percent of keepers exponentially by learning to and practicing manual focus in these situations.
  4. Triggertrevor

Triggertrevor Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2013
    Thanks or all that info and the link I'll take a look at it.

Thanks again kev