The beauty of light.

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Chuck Pike, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    If you lived near this you might drive by every day and never give it a thought. I was making my first trip to Iowa this last year, and this caught my eye. I just like the way the light hit it, and while it is ok in color, it sings to me in b&w. I was using my GF1, the 14mm lens with the rig mounted on a tripod. I look forward to the next time I get to go there, as I saw several other old buildings worth stopping for. Now many of you never shot b&w film, but in Nik software they list many of the old films for you to see how that film would work. Panatomic X was one of the films we loved and hated. It had a ASA (IS0) of 32 so you had to use a tripod. Great depth, wonderful contrast, but so slow. You can convert your digital images into 18 different films, ranging from ISO 32 to 3200. We also used color filters to bring out the clouds back then, and those same filters are included in the software. This would have taken me several hours to do in the darkroom, but almost no time in the computer.

<object width="700" height="488"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="i=I0000NKkypATZT9o&b=1"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="true" FlashVars="i=I0000NKkypATZT9o&b=1" allowfullscreen="true" width="700" height="488"></embed></object>

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike
    • Like Like x 3
  2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Very nice, classic B&W picture. It shows once more photography is painting with light. :thumbup:
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Absolutely! There is something very basic and direct about b&w that just brings a scene like this to life. Very well done. :thumbup: