The battle has begun: Pan - Leica

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Herman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Link Willkommen in der neuen Dimension
    Article:
    GH2 showing Strengths and Weaknesses of the Voigtlaender Nokton mFT 25mm/f0.95
    As already shown in this article, the new Voigtlaender Nokton 25/0.95 with mFT mount is a perfect lens for available light photography. Another strength is the extreme sharpness that the GH2 with it's new 16 MP sensor can deliver through this lens which already comes close to the results that I reached when I spent some time with the Leica M9 and two excellent Leica M lenses.

Comments are welcome, thanks in advance!

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    sorry herman - but while i am sure the nokton on the GH2 is capable of very fine images there is no way that it will ever equate to leica glass on an M9. FF sensor will beat 4/3 sensor any time when it comes to DOF

we have just got an M9 in our household - so maybe i will do some comparisons of leica lenses on the M9 and the e-p1 over the festive season

• Like Like x 1
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Herman,
    I have to be in Kevin's camp on this one.
    It should be a no brainer.
    K... It will still be an interesting quest.
    Looking forward to your results.
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Okay Kevin I do look forward to your M9-EP1 shootout!
    Thanks Don for your reply.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Although a GH2 with Nokton won't equate an M9 and Leica lens in resolution, DOF, image quality, etc, it gets "close enough" for some people in some of those respects.

Can't say the same for the Leica M9 getting close to the GH2 in certain respects that matter a lot to some people - eg, video, autofocus, macro, supertele... and price!

• Like Like x 1
  6. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    just want to add that the m9 is my partners...not mine... i just get to ply with it sometimes.

I helped convince her to upgrade from her M8... the rangefinder experience is not for me.. and personally think the digital M's are body wise quite possibly the worst camera you could buy in terms of ergonomics and UI:)

but the lenses are gorgeous...and from what i have seen so far they are even better on the M9

at the end of the day as i always say its the quality of the image thats important not the image quality

so I will have to think carefully how i do my comparison :)

K

• Like Like x 1
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think comparisons like these are kinda pointless...

People who buy into the m4/3rds are not going to go out and compare shop a $10k+ Noctilux 0.95 Asph to adapt. People who shoot a Leica M9 (or M8) who can afford the Noctilux won't be considering the opposite. This is quite different then let say a Canon EF shooter comparing a 24-70 f/2.8L with another 24-70mm lens from the likes of Tokina, Sigma, or Tamron.

From what I can tell its all about seeking affirmation.

I personally think Nokton is a wonderful specimen in the m4/3rds realm.... A worthy companion... just leave it at that.. Nothing more nothing less.

• Like Like x 3
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I don't see how ANYONE can justify the price of an M9. near as I can tell, it doesn't excel in any particular arena, especially not to the price difference.

Those that have used one extensively - is it actually 20x better than a GF1?

• Like Like x 1
  9. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Like all things such as cars, cameras, hifi the scale is not linear...as you go up the scale the price rises ot of proportion

the m9 excels in one area only.... its the only digital platform that gets the best out of Leica lenses...which truly are exceptional.....i was a skeptic until i tried

They are expensive lenses....but even on a 4/3 camera they do offer a unique 'look' that is not seen on any other lens.

there are examples of 50mm/1 and 75/1.4 in this set

Legacy lenses - a set on Flickr

the Panasonic 20/1.7 and their 25/1.4 for 4/3 have many of the characteristics of the Leica look

25/1.4 shots here

Panaleica 25/1.4 - a set on Flickr

and 20/1.7 shots all over my recent flickr pics

I a very lucky that I can sample these lenses without the cost of ownership.... but i do appreciate why people spend the money they do.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I'll say this about that.
    I've used M cameras for over 40 years.
    It's not about comparing against an M camera because there is nothing that compares to it.
    If you use a Leica, you love it. It is the only camera ever designed that does what it does. If you've used one for a spell, you get what I'm saying... If not, well....
    Is it worth 20x a GF1? For me, well any M shooter... No! Not 20xs... Maybe 1000xs because it is what it is. There is no other!

The only camera ever worth comparing to an M is, another M.
    If I ever get to Heaven, it'll be with an M9 and a 35 Cron.

• Like Like x 3
  11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

btw... my response was to point put that the m43 and Leica m system are not competing in the same category. To start out, one is a rangefinder and the other is not. Unlike the Canon EF example, the m43 and m mount lenses are not 100% interchangable. Thus a pointless comparison. It wasnt to continue the which is better or which brings more value to the table discussion.

I gave up defending the Leica brand online a long time ago (although I will discuss why I enjoy it.. stress on "I")... most Leica shooters shoot with other systems of different brands as well. The opposite cannot be said. With that said, I usually point out various things about the system and end with, you have to have some time with the system to truly understand. Even then, it isnt a a camera for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thatspec

Thatspec New to Mu-43

Sep 11, 2010
    That anyone would even consider such a comparison is a pretty high compliment to M4/3 in general. 99.999% of the people will never see the difference.