1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The baby has arrived!!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by markyw, Mar 30, 2011.

1. markyw

markyw Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2011
    London, UK
    So, my E-PL2 arrived this afternoon and I managed to get it out at the office for a quick look before leaving it in the box until i got home. Battery charged and memory card installed, I have now photo documented the living room from the sofa. :)

Haven't been this excited about a new toy since I last changed my car. Now I just need to get to grips with the menus, handling and general enthusiasm for taking photos.

As a new m4/3 owner, can you guys give me a heads up on must have accessories, please. Need a camera bag to take E-PL2, kit lens and 40-150, maybe with some space for memory cards and a battery. Are screen protectors a must?

Also, recommendations on memory cards as the choice is massive. What else do I need?

With 35mm, I used to have to have skylights on all my lenses. Is this done on the new stuff or should I spend my money elsewhere?

So many questions, so little time.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

• Like Like x 1
  2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    You probably want to shower your baby with gifts, but apart from a memory card the only other thing I consider essential is at least one extra battery (one extra has been enough for me).
    What else you need really depends.
    I can get the camera body in one back trouser pocket and my 40-150 lens in the other back pocket.
    If I'm wearing my coat I can easily get those and the kit lens in the various pockets of my coat very comfortably.
    And I much prefer doing that to wearing a bag.
    Battery goes in shirt pocket.

There's a long thread about bags.

Filters for protection on your lenses it seems to me is really some do and some don't.

3. Ihavenewfs

Ihavenewfs Mu-43 Regular

Mark, I share the giddiness - my epl2 is only a few weeks old...the glow is still warm :)

Marie

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Take your time, check out the various threads about lenses but do not rush. The extra battery is a must and congratulations! Enjoy the act of making pictures and we'll look forward to seeing them - even that living room couch.:tongue:

5. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Congrats on your new baby. Spend some time with it and see what you really need.

6. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    i can feel your excitement!

battery - depends on how often you go on trips. I find that the battery lasts quite a while for me and easily lasts me over 1 day of shooting. I'll probably eventually get my 2nd battery but it's not a must IMO.

Take your time and do your research on lenses. I'd highly recommend the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, which most people here seem to think is a 'must have' for any micro 4-3 camera.

Enjoy your new toy!

7. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    I'm a camera newbie (not just m43) and I got my epl2 a few weeks ago. Here's what I've bought and my experiences with them. I can give you direct links to the ones I bought too if you're interested

*8gb SD card - I don't shoot in RAW, and 8gb so far has been more than enough. of the 706 photos I took last week, it only takes about 4gb.
    *40-150mm - Have yet to use it, considering just reselling it.
    *VF-2 - Use it less often than I though, but I take most of my pictures indoors. It's really handy for outdoor photog!
    *Remote Shutter Release - I really love the aesthetics of macro shots, and potential to do time lapse photography.
    *Reverse Adapter + Step-up Ring - Poor man's macro lens for about $10 (in the mail)
    *Spare BLS-5 Battery + Charger - $20 on ebay. The charger is much more compact than the one that came with the EPL2. I actually lost my OEM charger so this was necessary.
    *Filters - Still in the mail. Figure it's a cheap investment to protect my lens. Also got a 58mm one from Amazon for the 40-150.

I also want to get a case and screen protector within the next few weeks. I tried putting the camera without any lens attached in a suit jacket pocket, and it just makes the whole suit drape me very strangely. So I'm eyeballing a "half case" which I think will come in handy when I bring my camera to weddings. My screen has also gotten two hairline scratches on them just in this short time I've had it.

I'm very attracted to the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens, a big reason being the size secondarily quality. But I am going to wait until a good deal comes along, or I feel like I need it.

8. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A Screen protector is a good idea. I put one on as soon as got my GF1 and it saved the day because when I had my camera around my neck the screen was jiggling around on my shirt button. I peeled it off and the screen is as good as new.
    The cheapest way I've found is to buy a pack of iPhone screen protectors on eBay and cut them to suit.

9. markyw

markyw Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2011
    London, UK
    Guys and girls, thanks for all your responses, I have much to think about.

Only one final question to ponder, what is this "need" people keep mentioning? Maybe we should commute the old chestnut "cogito ergo sum" to "I think, therefore I buy" :)

Regards

Mark

10. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    another advice is...don't go on these forums if you want to save money. this place will make you want things you don't necessarily need. =)

11. markyw

markyw Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2011
    London, UK
    Ha ha. I used to be an avid SCUBA diver, I LOVE my car(s) and work in IT. This is just ~another~ money-sponge of a hobby.

Thank GOD for an understanding wife!

Mark

12. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    If you really must have a filter then go for a UV. I found that Hoya have stopped making Skylight 1A and I got their Skylight 1B, yuk, far too pink and warm. Grey roof tiles looked way out.