The Art of Train Window Photography

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Vol, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Vol

Vol Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013

The XPT to Melbourne streamed through the railyards at the regulation 80kmph (50mph)
    as I blasted away with the E-3 set on shutter priority @ sequential shooting @ 1/2000 @ ISO500 @ EV-0.3.
    1. [​IMG]
    I had boarded the train 3 hours earlier at Wangaratta with plenty of time to figure as to how I might best capture
    the artworks that decorate the rolling stock that on previous occasions had always eluded me.
    2. [​IMG]
    I had booked my seat in advance choosing the left side at the very rear of the carriage and I was lucky to have the two seats to myself.
    3. [​IMG]
    The light was overcast gloomy, the windows were coated with dust, so I wasn't expecting too much from the SWD, 12-60mm, F2.8.
    4. [​IMG]
    It never ceases to amaze me how presumably jobless, impoverished young street artists
    find money to buy paints and materials to practice their passion. There's not a wall, a post, a fence or a weelie bin left unadorned.
    5. [​IMG]
    I'm sure that Olympus did not intend that a new front element would be added to their Zuiko F2.8 12-60mm in the form of a tinted dirty train window!
    6. [​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

8. [​IMG]
    A heavily overcast sky and the odd shower didn't do much to enhance these images either.
    9. [​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

11. [​IMG]

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Good stuff!
    If you figure out how to edit out the bluish tint - please let me know! :smile: (I've tried window shots too)
  3. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    RT... If you have photoshop, select auto color from the adjustments menu. It should do a decent job of removing the blue color cast.
  4. Vol

Vol Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    We can thank ivoire for his useful tip. I tried everything else but PS auto colour, works like a charm.
    All fixed - Thanks ivoire :2thumbs:
  5. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Cool shots. I like the turntable. Didn't know any were still in use on modern railroads.
  6. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    I like the pano format and think it works well with the trains. Nice..
  7. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    When in doubt, Black it out! Shake and serve... :)

8. Vol

Vol Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    Hi Sinclair - thanks, and one could hardly describe our rail network as "modern" :biggrin:
    I believe those obsolete engines you refer to there are relics of a locomotive graveyard.
    The format was a way to avoid clutter as well as keeping the file sizes down.

Thanks bluzcity :thumbup: