1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The Art of Train Window Photography

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Vol, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Vol

Vol Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    Australia

The XPT to Melbourne streamed through the railyards at the regulation 80kmph (50mph)
    as I blasted away with the E-3 set on shutter priority @ sequential shooting @ 1/2000 @ ISO500 @ EV-0.3.
    1. TrainArt-09.
    I had boarded the train 3 hours earlier at Wangaratta with plenty of time to figure as to how I might best capture
    the artworks that decorate the rolling stock that on previous occasions had always eluded me.
    2. TrainArt-08.
    I had booked my seat in advance choosing the left side at the very rear of the carriage and I was lucky to have the two seats to myself.
    3. TrainArt-01.
    The light was overcast gloomy, the windows were coated with dust, so I wasn't expecting too much from the SWD, 12-60mm, F2.8.
    4. TrainArt-02.
    It never ceases to amaze me how presumably jobless, impoverished young street artists
    find money to buy paints and materials to practice their passion. There's not a wall, a post, a fence or a weelie bin left unadorned.
    5. TrainArt-03.
    I'm sure that Olympus did not intend that a new front element would be added to their Zuiko F2.8 12-60mm in the form of a tinted dirty train window!
    6. TrainArt-11.

7. TrainArt-04.

8. TrainArt-05.
    A heavily overcast sky and the odd shower didn't do much to enhance these images either.
    9. TrainArt-10.

10. TrainArt-06.

11. TrainArt-07.

12. TrainArt-12.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Good stuff!
    If you figure out how to edit out the bluish tint - please let me know! :smile: (I've tried window shots too)

3. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    RT... If you have photoshop, select auto color from the adjustments menu. It should do a decent job of removing the blue color cast.

4. Vol

Vol Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    Australia
    We can thank ivoire for his useful tip. I tried everything else but PS auto colour, works like a charm.
    All fixed - Thanks ivoire :2thumbs:

5. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Cool shots. I like the turntable. Didn't know any were still in use on modern railroads.

6. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    I like the pano format and think it works well with the trains. Nice..

7. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    When in doubt, Black it out! Shake and serve... :)

:biggrin:

8. Vol

Vol Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    Australia
    Hi Sinclair - thanks, and one could hardly describe our rail network as "modern" :biggrin:
    I believe those obsolete engines you refer to there are relics of a locomotive graveyard.
    The format was a way to avoid clutter as well as keeping the file sizes down.

Thanks bluzcity :thumbup: