The acid test - who's going to upgrade to the E-M5 ii ?

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Love my EM1.
But ... I would like is the video upgrade.
Hoping they bring that to the em1 with a firmware update.

Mercurio

Mu-43 Veteran
Love my EM1.
But ... I would like is the video upgrade.
Hoping they bring that to the em1 with a firmware update.
From what I have read, there is not going to be any video upgrade in the near future:

"Olympus recognizes there is a request for 4K on Olympus cameras. But they cannot guarantee the E-M1 successor will have 4K. Olympus does not see great potential for 4K at the moment.Once the market is ready for it, they will make 4K. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung are “forced” to add 4K on cameras to create content for their 4K TV’s."

http://www.43rumors.com/michael-gut...e-high-res-40mp-feature-via-firmware-upgrade/

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I ordered one the morning it was announced. I ordered black but since then I saw photos of the silver and wished I had ordered that. I hope it comes this week. I have heard some people have been getting them already.

少林chris

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris
As someone mentioned earlier, it's practically an em1 in an em5 body. I will definitely try to pick up a second hand body in a year or two.

A week ago I had my entire mu43 collection stolen (plus all other electronics), and as a college student on a tight budget, there won't be any lee-way to pick up an cheap camera alternative right now.
Mu43 is in my opinion the future and it's going to be hard not to considering the em5 mk2 when I start investing in the system again.
Olympus wins.

sunnygps

Mu-43 Regular
I ordered mine from Amazon to replace my GX7. Seems like Amazon is still showing as Feb 28 release date. Hopefully, I will get mine shortly.

Mercurio

Mu-43 Veteran
As someone mentioned earlier, it's practically an em1 in an em5 body. I will definitely try to pick up a second hand body in a year or two.

A week ago I had my entire mu43 collection stolen (plus all other electronics), and as a college student on a tight budget, there won't be any lee-way to pick up an cheap camera alternative right now.
Mu43 is in my opinion the future and it's going to be hard not to considering the em5 mk2 when I start investing in the system again.
Olympus wins.
I am very sorry to read about your stollen mu43 equipment. Many years ago, I lost my OM cameras and lenses the same way and from there, all my film entusiasm diminished until I found the new digital era. As you can imagine, the retro look of the OM D cameras was one of the main reasons to discover the mu43 format, as I was a Nikon user before that.

JDK504

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm on the fence. I'm very interested in the EM-5 II since they upgraded the video. However, I am curious to what the EM-1 II will offer over this?
What do you think the EM-1 II will have over the EM-5 II? I don't think they are going with 4K.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or when it will get released. In Steve Huff's review of the EM-5 II (great site by the way) he mentions he believes the EM-1 II will be out in less than
a year. Do you think that is possible? Or sooner? I don't want to invest in EM-5 II and the EM-1 II get's announced shortly after I purchase it.

Ideas?

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Not buying something you need because of considerations about the possible capabilities of a possible future model that has no timeframe and solely exists in the minds of internet gossips, is not a great idea.

JDK504

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the reply, but I"m looking for responses that will help rather than trying to negate anything I wrote.

m43happy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm on the fence. I'm very interested in the EM-5 II since they upgraded the video. However, I am curious to what the EM-1 II will offer over this?
What do you think the EM-1 II will have over the EM-5 II? I don't think they are going with 4K.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or when it will get released. In Steve Huff's review of the EM-5 II (great site by the way) he mentions he believes the EM-1 II will be out in less than
a year. Do you think that is possible? Or sooner? I don't want to invest in EM-5 II and the EM-1 II get's announced shortly after I purchase it.

Ideas?
I think the chances of the E-M1ii coming out this year would be slim seeing as there haven't been any hints or rumors floating around (other than the flimsy rumor posted today on 43rumors.com). Aside from better build quality and the same video spec, my guess is that the E-M1ii will offer better AF (particularly tracking), faster speed w/ a larger buffer rate (like the E-M1 has now over all the other OM- D cameras), and the ability to handhold the high-res stitch shot. I bet it'll also have an improved EVF as well. Just my .02 :)

Edit: And I'd like to believe that the E-M1ii will introduce a new sensor too. If Panasonic is gonna introduce a new m4/3 sensor into their AF100 video camera line, which some tech I'm sure will carry over to their m4/3 cameras; Olympus has to be working on something as well.

Last edited:

DigitalD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
So oddly enough Amazon is now showing on my pre-order that the release date is Feb 24th!! Thats tomorrow?! However it still says my shipment will arrive on March 3rd even though I have 1-day shipping. Something is off but heres to hoping I get it even a day early. I will be on vacation on the 3rd so it will have to wait till I return if it doesn't come until then. Oh well.

DigitalD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David

Ideas?

There's no word, not even the slightest rumor or leak about the EM1MK2. I believe Steve said the earliest would be the end of this year but thats admitted as a complete guess on his part. The fact is, no one knows yet. And not knowing what you have now or why you are looking to upgrade makes it hard to give you a suggestion. If you already have an OM-D and you are that on the fence, its probably best to wait at least until the prices drop. If you have nothing or something you just aren't happy with, then it might make more sense to jump in as Oly cameras seem to hold their value second-hand.

One rumor I have heard was that Olympus is already working on a version of the Sensor shift/HiRes mode in which you can hold the camera handheld to take the shot. I think it was on PetaPixel? They said this upgrade would come to the EM5mk2 through a firmware upgrade. Thats pretty exciting.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
Thanks for the reply, but I"m looking for responses that will help rather than trying to negate anything I wrote.

I was helping. It was pretty obvious that (a) you want what the E-M5 II offers, and (b) you are dithering about future models and asking people to tell you things that would be all over 43rumors (in addition to all the untrue stuff there) if anyone knew the answers. My advice, obviously, was to buy what you need that actually exists, and let the future look after itself.

Frankly, if someone told you "I think the E-M1 replacement will have this and that", it is they who are not being helpful. :cool:

Last edited:

JDK504

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thank you all for the replies. I currently have a Panny G3 with the 42.5 1.2 and 25 1.4. I tend to do 60/40 video and stills and that is why I have a Panny vs Oly.
Now they have made the change with the EM-5 II I was ready to jump in, but wasn't sure if the EM-1 II was on the horizon. I am shocked that there is no announcements
from Panny about a possible GH5 or a successor to the G6. I think the EM-5 II has everything I could want and more, but didn't want to get something and have the EM-1 II
get announced for just a bit more than I would be paying for the EM-5 II. Also, I prefer the larger grip that the EM-1 has vs the others. I know I can buy the added grip.
EM-1 brand new would be about $1,500? a little cheaper than the GH4 or? I know this is all speculation on what if anything will/might get announced, but surely some of you
can see where I am coming from. It def is an exciting time for Olympus and M4/3!

JDK504

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was helping. It was pretty obvious that [a] you want what the E-M5 II offers, and you are dithering about future models and asking people to tell you things that would be all over 43rumors (in addition to all the untrue stuff there) if anyone knew the answers. My advice, obviously, was to buy what you need that actually exists, and let the future look after itself.

Frankly, if someone told you "I think the E-M1 replacement will have this and that", it is they who are not being helpful. :cool:

I get where you are coming from. I understand your POV and I know there will always be something better and cheaper around the corner. Im not one to wait and wait for it.
I was just curious if others had heard/read anything that I might not have learned - the web is a big place =) Many thanks for your responses. I think the EM-5 II will be everything
I could want and more! =)

sunnygps

Mu-43 Regular
B&H went from a stated ship date of Feb 27th to date not available. Soon, I hope.

I ordered mine from Amazon. I got an email this morning that the estimated arrival date was March 3rd. Soon after I got another email that the new arrival date is Feb 26th. The camera has not shipped yet. Can't wait to get it.

JDK504

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ordered from Amazon this morning + grip! Should arrive on Thursday =)

Latest threads

Top Bottom