The acid test - who's going to upgrade to the E-M5 ii ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Feb 5, 2015.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've read Robin Wong's and Matthieu Gasquet's reviews, watched the CameraStore's video and even sat through Damian McGillicuddy's "unboxing" vid (enbedded below - but watch it only if you've got insomnia or wish to lose 17mins of your life needlessly)

and... I'm still a little underwhelmed.

There's certainly lots to like in the E-M5ii. I'm sure it's a great camera. But, if I look at it objectively, this is where I am:

- Sensor - It's the same sensor as the E-M5, E-P5 and E-M10. Not a bad sensor, but I really would like to have seen some improvement in the noise - esp at higher ISOs, but even at base ISO it's easy to get into troublesome noise if you go pushing things in PP with the wrong subjects.

- Features from other Oly models - Lots of the new features are inherited from other Oly cameras - bigger EVF, WiFi, Live Composite, Keystone, 81 focus points, ... Nice, but not innovative or unique.

- Improved features - The IBIS seems improved - full scorecard subject to rigourous testing. But, the existing 5-axis is pretty good you know. Lots of other systems still have no IBIS at all.

- Genuine new features - Genuine new features are the articulated screen, electronic shutter and the sensor-shift high res mode. The latter seems like a curiosity rather than a feature that will be used often.

- Video features - Looks a good upgrade, but I don't do video.

- No difference at all - AF, IQ, Battery life, focus peaking (from other Oly models - i.e. not very good)

Net, net - in the crucial areas of delivering something better than I can find in other Oly cameras, I'm left with:

- Articulated screen
    - Electronic shutter

The E-M10 will do 99% of what the E-M5ii will do - at half the price. I can pick up used E-M5s in decent condition for a third or a quarter of that price too.

I realise that this is an evolutionary model of course, but I guess what I was really hoping for three years after the original E-M5 was a sensor uplift.

So, I not going to be rushing out to buy one - but I'm sure I'll own one at some point. Maybe a year or two down the road. If I were buying into the system anew, I'd certainly be looking at it though.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    When the E-M5 came out, it was the flagship body. Now it's a mid-tier model. I think if anything, we'll see sensor tech improvements in the E-M1 replacement. Saying that, I wish they improved C-AF which I think should be a major priority with all mirrorless camera brands.
  3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Negative for me, barring some unexpected bombshell that turns up in actual use. The IQ is essentially unchanged, and I don't need the video or HiQ upgrades. If I wanted to update my E-M5, I'd buy another E-M1.
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm with you Paul. Lots of nice adds, but nothing that will motivate a purchase from my perspective.
  5. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    If I needed a new body and it was £600 I'd be straight in there. At the current price and because I'm still loving my E-M10 it's not going to happen.

Overall though I think that it's a great looking camera with tons of useful features. I'm particularly keen on seeing how the electronic shutter works.
  6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I want to see what people can do with the 40MP HiQ, even though I can't see any personal use for it. I really like the idea that Olympus is continuing to innovate in the OM-D lineup, even if I am not going to be supporting that with my own money right now.
  7. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    I'll wait for the EM-1 mk2. If it has 4K with usable bitrate, that would be a strong contender to the GH4 on account of it's IBIS.

Wouldn't mind if say they get a better sensor in there with a bit higher resolution too....
    • Like Like x 2
  8. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    It's a nice update to be sure, but other than more mega pixels than i would know what to do with (in certain conditions), there isn't anything "new". My G6 has an articulated screen and an electronic shutter.
  9. dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    I'm likely to, but I am in a position where the upgrades from the existing E-M5 hit directly on where my interests lie. I have an E-M5, but had already started thinking about possibly looking at an E-M1 or E-M10 due to the incremental improvements and lack of any remote-control ability on the E-M5. I (aspire to) do some astro photo and also shooting birds through a decent refractor telescope, and in these scenarios remote control is beneficial - tethering preferred but wifi might be good in some cases as well. I've also recently picked up a 60mm macro that I'm playing with, so the high-res mode actually may have some direct applicability for studio macro shooting. So, support for Olympus Capture plus confirmation that the sensor-shift mode works in RAW probably put me over the edge on the decision.
    I'm undecided on whether to sell my existing E-M5 or keeping it as a 2nd body. I was thinking about a PM2 as a tiny second body for hiking etc, but given the way the prices are going it's not clear that it's worth taking the hit.
  10. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    I think the E-M5 Mk II is a WONDERFUL camera but I'm only interested in a jump in sensor tech.

Regardless, I hope Panasonic look at the E-M5 MK II a lot when they design the GX8 because there are features that the Mk II has which I would love for Panasonic to include.
  11. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Looks like a fine camera that's maybe priced too aggressively at $1100 (without a lens). It's too near the price of a GH4, XT-1 or E-M1 in my opinion, but it seems like a great $899 camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I think it looks like a great camera and I wouldn't mind one at all. I will most likely get one (depending on GX8 or another surprise contender) but not for another 2 years at least. Can't afford one atm but I know prices will come down. I think the improvements and the new features are very compelling especially the high resolution thingy. I would use that a lot. The only thing I don't like is the swivel screen. Another minor niggle is the new finish, I really like the smooth finish on mk1. Also should have included ND filters and a complete overhaul of the interface (see Samsung). All in all it has ticked most of my boxes and a few more so I can see myself with this one in the future.
  13. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I found the battery shoot less with the new EM5II, below is the information from Olympus usa.

Number of recordable picturesApprox. 310 shots (using BLN-1 and TOSHIBA SD with IS ON, based on CIPA test standards)
    Approx. 750 shots (using BLN-1 and TOSHIBA SD with IS ON and Quick Sleep Mode ON, based on Olympus testing using CIPA test standards)

It's 310 VS 360.
  14. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Hey bud, I have few notes that may or may not change your mind. Let me know what you think.

The sensor is almost the same. As I posted a few weeks back the sensor filtering is completely different, mostly due to the sensor shift technology. In the Camera Guys Video review they are reporting seeing better performance at 6400 ISO then the original EM5 which is what I assumed looking at the tech behind the filtering. There is more dynamic range even in a single still.

There is also no AA filter as confirmed by a couple of sources. So Its going to produce sharper results then the original EM5.

The TruePic VII Image Processor may seem the same however it is a new & improved software build, so there is bound to be some gains there as well.

You say that bringing all the great features from the EM1 and EM10 into one body is not necessarily ground breaking unless you think in terms of size. Getting all the great Oly features PLUS the stuff we haven't seen, all in a compact EM5 body is pretty darn cool. The EM10 is only 3 axis remember AND the IBIS has been substantially improved over the EM1! Thats pretty big.

From everything I am reading it seems the AF has been improved as well. Same goes for the C-AF. Steve stated in his article that it is 'noticeably' faster then the EM1 in AF! Maybe he's a little to hyped but we will see soon enough.

Then there is the video improvements. But I totally understand that if the video doesn't appeal to you, thats almost half the camera improvements right there. I have been doing more and more video so this clinched it for me.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Joe King

Joe King Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    I'm going to sit on the fence for the moment on this one to be honest. The higher-resolution is very tempting since I predominantly shoot cityscape/architectural and landscape but I have a number of concerns about the sensor-shift tech. Specifically:

1. How well it will play with Lightroom/ACR. The news there is an Adobe plug-in on the way is promising but the ongoing poor performance of Fuji X-Trans files with Adobe makes me nervous.

2. What kind of artefacts might appear in city shots with light-trails. Some of the samples in the Dpreview first-look were not encouraging.

3. What kind of artefacts might appear in long-exposure shots of moving water - e.g. waterfalls. If anyone knows where there are any full-res samples of these types of shot available please let us know.

For the moment, my outlook is to prioritise getting the Oly 7-14 (very annoyed a release date and price were not announced today) and hold on for 6 months or so to see how the EM-5 II:
    - Performs for early adopters in respect of the above concerns;
    - Falls in price; and
    - Compares with the EM-2 as presumably specs for that will start to leak out by the second half of this year.
  16. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    same here. i'll just wait for a body with much improved c-af as an upgrade to my current e-m5.

putting my hopes on the e-m1 successor to meet that requirement, since it seems olympus is not going to put in pdaf other than the flagship model..
  17. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    E-M5 Mark ll body is the same price as the E-M1 in the UK.

I know which I'd rather have, the one I've got, the E-M1.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    This is actually what I had wanted.. an E-M1 in an E-M5 body. I'm liking the improvements more than I thought on the ergonomic side of things. Throw in the LCD and upgraded EVF and it's pushing me over a bit more than I originally thought.

But I'm not going to rush out and buy it. I did hope it would have, in addition, an upgraded sensor (yes, I know, it's mid tier, but its not the end of the world if it's better than the E-M1.. that still has some big pluses on why it exists). I really wanted to see a new sensor so it would feel like they are making strides there and not stuck, heh.
  19. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Not this guy.

Here's why:

- 40MP has extremely limited uses outside a controlled studio.
    - IBIS is better, but the one in the MkI is also great.
    - LCD is better, but I'm very happy with the one on the MkI.
    - Video is better, but not by a staggering amount...for what I do, the MkI's video is perfectly fine.
    - More's better, but I've got my camera set up to my liking, and not really crying over not having enough buttons.
    - They moved the dang On/Off button...I love where it is on the MkI!
    - Still no custom functions on the dial, just MySets assignable to Fn thanks.
    - 1/16000 shutter speed is nice, but I very rarely find 1/4000s limiting...for those times, I'll just live with it.

The money an Mk II would set me back would buy me a GoPro Hero3+ and a couple of very good lenses for my OM-D. ..which would impact my photography far more than this the Mk II.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'm pleasantly surprised with how much they got right here. The electronic shutter in particular was not expected, and is a truly valuable addition for me. The lack of PDAF however leaves me on the fence. I don't do much action today, but I've been hoping to do more in the future, and the lack of fast C-AF, plus the fact that the most appropriate lens (the 4/3 50-200/2.8-3.5) doesn't work well with CDAF means I'm undecided. Price is also higher than I'd like.

On the other hand, whatever the eventual E-M1 II is, it'll still be oversized and ugly by comparison, so maybe there's not a better option.