1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The abandoned barn in the forest

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Mort, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Mort

Mort Mu-43 Regular

5381158616_187a9af052_b.

A 3 shot panorama of an old hay barn left over from pre-forestry days.

Croesor, Gwynedd, North Wales.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    This is an eerily beautiful photograph.

What camera, which lens?

3. Mort

Mort Mu-43 Regular

GF1 with 14-45 kit lens. No filters on this one.

The light varies a lot here, usually its very gloomy but while passing here this time, the evening light shone in and relit this lovely tranquil bit of forgotteness.

I am happy I've been able to capture a niceness to it this time.

Thanks

Mark

4. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Mort

What a great photograph. So rich.

In my view, most photographs look way better in print, and this one calls out for that.

A BW version might be interesting.

Wish I had made this one...:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mort

Mort Mu-43 Regular

Pelao, I will be printing this and a few others I have posted here.

Will give it a go in monochrome, but feel its color is what makes this. When I convert it I'll post here for you to compare.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Mark

6. Mort

Mort Mu-43 Regular

As requested, here's one I put through Silver Efex in CS4. I used a high contrast yellow filter and a slight tweak this time, but might play about and see what other effect I like.

5385029263_c97a729441_b.

Mark

• Like Like x 1
  7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Mark, I really love B&W but this image is color for sure...
    The browns, greens just make it dreamy & beautiful...
    Don

8. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Whoa! The conversion looks like a still from Lord of the Rings.

I like it very much, but yes, the light is utterly magical and the colour version shows this to great effect.

Print it large and watch people staring at it and then into it as their imagination is triggered.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I don't know...the black and white one is calling to me. What a wonderful scene to have come upon while walking.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It lost the warmth in B&W....
    Did I say that?
    I do not can know....

• Like Like x 1
  11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Well, I was wondering about a warmer tone - a darker sepia, perhaps? Don't get me wrong, I like the color but I think the monochrome version's darkness adds to it and makes me feel as though I'm in the deep woods.

Forgive me, Mort! Both of these versions are very compelling. It's a scene that I'd keep coming back to, for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mort

Mort Mu-43 Regular

Just for you guys, here's one 'warmed' up in Silver Efex by turning it into a Tintype and adding a sepia 3 filter to it.

Hope you like it.

5387160665_e842b3b939_b.

By the way, I live about a mile from here, and walk the dog regularly past it.
    As I mentioned, this is the first time I've been able to capture it in good light, its usually hidden in the gloom!

Mark

• Like Like x 2
  13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Its either my monitor, or the color version just has way too much of a magenta cast for me. The B+W isn't bad, but the last Sepia one is my favorite to me.

14. Mort

Mort Mu-43 Regular

Could be your monitor needs profiling, just had mine done, and I know there's some magenta in the image but its not bad I dont think.

Thanks anyhow.

Mark

15. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Its my work monitor. Its actually a better monitor than at home, but I can't really profile it and the ambient lighting ain't great either.

In general, I like the Sepia better because the Barn doesn't get so lost like it does in the color version, at least for me. The green in the color version helps balance everything out, but I think in the Sepia version the lighter grass almost opens up to the barn.

• Like Like x 1
  16. floppymoose

floppymoose Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2010
    on my monitor the color version is purple almost everywhere that isn't green. it looks totally wrong to me. is this what others are seeing?

17. Mort

Mort Mu-43 Regular

I think if your seeing purple, your monitor is way off.
    There might be a slight magenta cast in it due to the reddy bracken and reddy brown of the tree's, but purple, definately no.

I have, and do profile my monitor every couple of weeks with a Color Munkey, its as accurate as I know, all prints I send off come back matching the screen and look perfect re exposure and colour values.

I know its off topic, but how many of you guys profile regularly, as well as print profile?

Mark

18. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Well, if I profiled my monitor to my printer, things would look really off I think to everyone else. If I profiled my monitor to where I do get some 4x6 prints done, things would even be worse. I had a 4x6 print done at Wolf and one done at Costco, and they were off by 20 percent of each other, I'd say. Costco was closer to what I expected the image to look like.

19. Mort

Mort Mu-43 Regular

Ive just printed an A4 print just to check color, and it seems to match ok this end.

I know there is a slight magenta cast in the reds, but its not as bad as you've mentioned.

From your reply you sound as someone who should get their kit profiled, especially if you want to print from. Beleive me, when I first started in digital I would get my prints back with so much difference it was unbeleivable. When I started calibrating my monitor, it made a big difference. When I calibrated my printing too, it made so much sense as well as saving money in the end.

Mark

20. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    As long as you stick to one print house, I see nothing wrong with that, and especially if they keep up with their equipment.

My issue with the original wasn't as much with the magenta cast as it was that the Barn gets lost to me(maybe that is the intent?) and doesn't in the Sepia version. I feel like my eyes get led up to the barn in the Sepia whereas in the color version, I just don't feel it as much.

Keep in mind my opinion on such matters is worth less than a grain of sand.