The 800 Lb. Swan

Bristolero

Mu-43 All-Pro
While removing stumps in the yard outside our cabin, I heard swans calling from a nearby pond.
1809_untitled_046.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The morning cloud cover made the light less than optimum, so I waited for the fog to dissipate before sneaking off to attempt some photos.
1809_untitled_017_DxO.jpg

Eventually the sun triumphed and I set off. My first swan pics gave my right thumb plenty of exercise pressing the erase button on my EM1--too far away. In the process of formulating a better plan, I suddenly heard splashing off to my left.
1809_untitled_086_DxO-2.jpg
Out strode a young bull moose. He had the September Urge, and was on the search for feminine companionship. He was so close that I quickly removed the teleconverter from my 300 Pro. Who says you can't zoom (or un-zoom) a prime lens!

1809_untitled_009_DxO.jpg

1809_untitled_115_DxO-2.jpg

Most moose shots are static. This was far from that and water really helps to show the motion.

1809_untitled_064_DxO.jpg

Here's the pesky Tundra swans I never got a good photo of.

1809_untitled_112_DxO.jpg

He trotted across the pond.

1809_untitled_037_DxO.jpg
And into the grass on the other side.

1809_untitled_065_DxO.jpg
One last look before he walked off into the forest on his quest for romance.

1809_untitled_073.jpg
The moose pond.
As a note: I made several more early morning and late evening trips, sitting quietly by the ponds edge, awaiting another opportunity. I saw no moose and no swans. With wildlife, you've just got to put in the time and hope to be in the proper place in the right moment.
Hope you enjoyed,
Eric

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
I imagine while they in female hunting mode bull Moose can be dangerous?

dogs100

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Geoff
Great shots, but you were trying to 'snap a swan' so shouldn't this be in the photobombed thread?

Mountain

Mu-43 All-Pro
They can be ornery if they think you're another bull moose. They most often split when they realize you're not. Cow moose with young are much more dangerous.
Great shots! And the perfect distance away. I had a different experience with a bull moose last sep. I was in the Indian Peaks Wilderness (southern sister to RMNP) hiking in to scout a remote climbing line after the weather forecast had shut down our chances of actually climbing it. There are a lot of moose at some lakes near the trailhead, which we observed from a distance before hiking in. Out of nowhere, about 7 miles in from the lakes and marsh, there was a huge bull standing right on the trail as we rounded the corner. We backpedalled quickly behind some boulders as he jogged right toward us. I found myself on one side of a boulder with the moose about 10ft away on the other. My friend called out directions to me so I could keep the rock between us as the moose worked his way around it. Managed one shot with the 12-40 from the hip when I first saw him and was scrambing away. He eventually got bored and trotted away down the trail, but it was a little "exciting" for a min.

Bristolero

Mu-43 All-Pro
Great shots! And the perfect distance away. I had a different experience with a bull moose last sep. I was in the Indian Peaks Wilderness (southern sister to RMNP) hiking in to scout a remote climbing line after the weather forecast had shut down our chances of actually climbing it. There are a lot of moose at some lakes near the trailhead, which we observed from a distance before hiking in. Out of nowhere, about 7 miles in from the lakes and marsh, there was a huge bull standing right on the trail as we rounded the corner. We backpedalled quickly behind some boulders as he jogged right toward us. I found myself on one side of a boulder with the moose about 10ft away on the other. My friend called out directions to me so I could keep the rock between us as the moose worked his way around it. Managed one shot with the 12-40 from the hip when I first saw him and was scrambing away. He eventually got bored and trotted away down the trail, but it was a little "exciting" for a min.
Love to see that hip shot!

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
... I found myself on one side of a boulder with the moose about 10ft away on the other. My friend called out directions to me so I could keep the rock between us as the moose worked his way around it...
Being chased round and round a boulder by an angry rutting moose would've made a great video!

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
That last shot by OP is a really nice scenic. Lots of depth to it and great composition.

rayr

Mu-43 Rookie
Great opportunity and fantastic photos. The 300 pro was the right lens for the occasion.

Latest threads

Top Bottom