The 3 year warranty by Panasonic

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by D7k1, Apr 27, 2016.

1. yes it would

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No it would not

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    So in the last 6 months I bought two cameras and two lenses from Panasonic and both came with a 3 year warranty. Some brands seem to have a minor issue with small part failure while others don't. If you were considering camera A or camera B, if both seemed to fit your needs would the longer warranty impact your decison?

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    If it were an Olympus camera, yes. A Panasonic camera, no.

I view Olympus cameras like a BMW. A very nice item that does what it's supposed to do, but there are lots of little things that can go wrong and spoil the ownership experience, especially if you have to pay for them out of pocket once the warranty has expired.

On the other hand, I view Panasonic cameras more like a Lexus, where they're still very nice, but you're probably going to have a trouble-free ownership experience, so a longer warranty wouldn't really be of interest (assuming it costs more than a standard warranty, and you don't get it for free like Panasonic has been offering here as of late).

I own two GH4 cameras, and have owned them both for something like 1.5 years. I bought both cameras used, and never once thought about buying any type of additional warranty. Up to this point (knock on wood), neither GH4 has given me any trouble at all, and neither had the GH3, two G6's, and G5 that I owned before. On the other hand, I recently purchased a refurbished E-M1 to use with my 50-200 and prime lenses. The refurb gear comes with a 90 day warranty, but I decided to spend an extra $79 to extend that warranty to 2 years. Lo and behold, I'm now experiencing the infamous "skipping rear dial" that has plagued the E-M1 (that's the reason I bought the extended warranty in the first place).

So, out of the 6 Panasonic cameras I've owned over the past 2+ years, none of them have EVER given me an issue, yet the E-M1 which I just purchased about a month ago is already experiencing an issue.

To answer you question, when purchasing a camera new, if I had the ability to buy an extended warranty at a discounted price, I likely wouldn't do it with a Panasonic camera, but I would with an Olympus camera. If they're throwing it in for free like Panasonic has been lately, then I'll obviously take it, but I don't see the need to spend more money on a product that has a proven track record (just like it really doesn't make sense to buy an extended warranty when purchasing a Toyota or Lexus).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Ian kind of sums it up. I haven't much problem with my Olympuses but it's clear from reading data and anecdotal stories that Panasonic makes what are arguably the most-reliable cameras on the market. I've never been big on extended warranties with any product (but Pentax's two-year factory extension with free cleaning and tune-up is a great deal). Still, I'd be tempted with an Olympus at the right price. Panasonic? Probably doesn't need it.

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    2X

5. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Panasonic's 3 year is a free warranty extension of 2 years over the 1 year for 3 years total.

6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    You'd be crazy to not take a free 2-year extension. But if were something that cost extra, with a Panasonic I wouldn't bother, but with an Olympus I would (and did).

I'd had experiences with six different Panasonic m43 cameras, all of which I've purchased used with no warranty, and all of which functioned fine. The one experience I've had with an Olympus product for basically the past month, and it's already suffering from an issue (which raises the question on the quality of Olympus' "refurbished" gear, but that's a different thread in and of itself).

7. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    It depends on the brand. I'd take longer warranty on Olympus, Fuji, and Sony, maybe Nikon and Pentax too, but not care much on Panasonic and Canon.
    I never had an issue with any Panasonic electronic product in my life time. VCR, DVD, camera, shaver, hair dryer, microwave, teapot, etc.
    BTW, Panasonic's triple warranty offer ended March 31.

8. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    They changed it to march of 2017, but you only have 30 days from purchase (invoice) date to file.

9. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    Oh nice! Thank you very much!:2thumbs: I'm going to claim the free extended warranty for my 35-100/2.8. Awesome lens!