1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The 25 summilux has arrived!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tl1234, Apr 29, 2013.

1. tl1234

tl1234 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Can't wait to shoot this! I didn't realize it already came with a hood. Great value, I think!

I borrowed this from a friend a month ago and that did it for me. I'll be sharing photos soon.

Can you share tips on how best to maximize this on the OMD?

2. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    borrowed the 25 a few days ago from a friend. Tried it out on my EPM1 so it was "sticking out" a bit, but from what i understand on this forum, the OMD and the 25 are a match made in heaven.

great lens, although i would like that the hood could be reverse mounted on the lens (not sure if i explained it properly).

I had pretty bad grinding noise on my body, not sure if it's a problem on all Oly bodies but i'm told it's quite common. Guess the video is out of the question. The noise was coming from aperture opening and closing. No effect on performance, but annoying nonetheless.

as far as performance goes, there's nothing i can say that hasn't been said numerous times here. From my limited use (and limited experience in photography), this is a great lens.

3. String

String Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Canada
    Brian
    My best tip would be to get an ND filter for it; pretty hard to shoot wide open in daylight with the PL25. Part of the "magic" with this lens is its wide aperture and OOF rendering.

4. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    the grind noise goes away when u record video.

5. flinky728

flinky728 New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2013
    Does anyone know if the grinding (when using pl25 on oly body) will harm the lens?

6. tl1234

tl1234 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    When I borrowed my friend'a summilux I didn't get the rattle snake sound

7. tl1234

tl1234 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    This is an excellent tip!

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Hope to see your pics soon in the PL25 image thread.

9. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Will answer in a week or so

I should be getting mine early next week!:biggrin:
    I've been reading about this grinding noise and finally found a link on youtube where a guy showed the camera resting on the palm of his hand with the PL 25 facing up, then he (indoors) moved the camera slowing from his den into the sunlight from a large picture window. You could see the aperture closing down one stop at a time and a single click accompanied each stop. Sorry I've lost the link.
    I've read that by turning the camera off when going from a darker area to a well lite area then turning back on once well lite this will stop this phenomena. Also read that by setting the custom video mode 'Flicker Reduction' to 'OFF' that this will remedy this clicking. Nothing I have read since the lenses introduction indicates this 'clicking' will harm the camera or the lens.
    I will try these and several other tricks I've though of when my new lens arrives!:2thumbs:

10. tl1234

tl1234 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    My 25 has the rattle snake sound on my OMD. My lens firmware says 1.0 does this fact affect the phenomenon?

11. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I've had the lens forever, for a good year on my GH2 and the past few months on my OMD and I've had no noise on either. It's my main go to lens so I use it all the time.

12. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    No rattlesnaking

Been using the lens for several days in all kinds of environments to see if I could induce the rattlesnake sound and no luck. Not a peep. Check out my prior post on May 3 and I followed these recommendations to eliminate any rattlesnake noise and so far so good. Like I said I've tried to induce the phenomena in all the conditions that I would ever be shooting in and I got not a sound, other than the shutter firing. Good luck with all of you who have encountered this problem and re-read my earlier post, it may resolve this issue for you.
    Bobby

13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Firmware update

I have the OMD+25mm and there is no rattlesnake sound ( I did have it with my GX1).

I do have firmware version 1.6 and this appears to have resolved the problem.

Suggest you update firmware and try again.

14. Richard Ripley

Richard Ripley Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 11, 2010
    Monrovia, CA
    Where is Flicker Reduction on OM-D EM-5 firmware 1.6

15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm not sure if the menu on the EM-5 is close to the menu on the E-PL5? On the E-PL5 you hit the menu button and the first page of the menu screen appears. Scroll down to the 'Gears' icon and hit the OK button. Scroll down to the D selection which says "Disp/(speaker icon)/PC and hit the OK button. The first page of this custom menu will appear. Scroll down until you get to the second page of this D menu and the 5th item down in the second page on mine says 'Flicker Reduction". Hit the OK button and you can toggle it on and off. I've kept mine at Off and no problems so far but then again I don't shoot video. If it gives you problems with video I'd just toggle it back on until I wanted to shoot stills again.
    Good Luck,
    Bobby

16. Richard Ripley

Richard Ripley Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 11, 2010
    Monrovia, CA
    Flicker Reduction

Flicker reduction doesn't seem to be on my OM-D EM-5. I looked where you suggested and that menu choice wasn't there. I rarely make movies with the OM-D so I don't care too much if a movie setting gets changed to eliminate the rattle snaking from the 25 Panaleica.

17. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    It seems very unlikely indeed that this will do the lens any harm. This is not actually a fault at all - it is just the aperture closing in bright light to allow the live view on the screen to be better balanced.

18. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I thought it was strange when I found this setting under the Display Custom Menu and not under the Movie Custom Menu! Maybe you should try out what I did when I first got the camera. The Manual was so poorly written that I just started scrolling through ever single item. On many of the Custom Menus after I scrolled to the bottom item and hit the scroll down button again a second Custom Page would magically appear. So far I haven't seen any magical third pages but you might give this a try on the EM-5. You'd be amazed at what's buried in the Menu!
    Good Luck,
    Bobby

19. tl1234

tl1234 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    I've shot with the 25 in low light and all I can say is WOW. I think what I like the character of the lens and how it makes photos. It has a personality that stands out. I haven't shot m43 until now so this is all new to me and maybe it has to do with the not-so-shallow DOF & Bokeh characteristics but I'm liking what I see. I'm a really a 35mm FOV guy but this lens will be a mainstay on my cam.