The 2017 Regional Arts Exhibition and the nature of LED Lights

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
This year for the Festival of the Arts ( festivalgr.org ) the Regional Artist Exhibition/Contest is being held in the FED Galleries at the Kendall College of Art and Design (KCAD).

This was the selected piece I have showing in the exhibition currently printed as 13x19 and placed in a silver bordered frame :

p0l2Qt4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ever since I picked up an infrared converted E-M1 (the above picture is with the E-M5... without conversion and a B+W 092 filter) it's been pretty much infrared this, infrared that to the point that peers will start to groan that I didn't bring a 'normal' camera to an event.

In any case, I noticed that the lighting in the gallery appeared to be energy efficient LED which do not emit infrared light and pretty much stays in the visible range it's designed for, resulting in a rather dimly lit scene for the 590nm conversion on my camera, or next to no light at all if I narrow it down further.

Since they crammed a few more pieces than they initially had space for, they placed some more on the small ends of the walls and as a result needed to add more lighting. As the gallery attendant explained to me they installed some track lights and just used the bulbs that came with them which were the halogen types. She found it interesting that my camera can see the halogens, but not the LED.

This allowed for me to capture the location with what appeared to be a gallery with most the lights turned off except for the track lights used on the crossway.

First couple are shortly before the opening reception, and the ones in monochrome are with the Schott RG850 (850nm-onward) filter in front cutting off all visible light. The colored ones are without a filter in front and as a result would be using what LifePixel calls "590nm Super Color Infrared" which allows for faux color as visible light shows up one color and IR shows up another.

tO0Jbiv.jpg

eI4KVkz.jpg

nmiLq46.jpg

Qs4IoSk.jpg

GD84HWW.jpg

mGzw9MP.jpg

A camera phone shot of mine sitting next to a collage and an ambrotype at it's upper right.

18740705_10213423500729894_7304664564128792549_n.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom