The 17-year cicadas are here!

This says:

https://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/what-do-cicadas-eat/

They drink sap from tree roots and branches as the adults we see, as nymphs they start out the size of a grain of rice and go after grasses and smaller plants. Pretty cool.
Huh, I always thought they lived off the stored reserves when they came above ground until running out. This was reinforced by finding dead cicadas with hollow abdomens -- turns out male cicadas have a mostly empty abdomen that is used to amplify their mating calls!

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I haven’t I seen them yet, but we have had a lot of rain.
Soon, Steve. Ours have been coming out for a week, despite all the rain. As of yesterday, the sound has started, but it's not very intense yet. My Blacksburg friends haven't seen any yet, but this morning, for the first time, they started to hear them.

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
Re feeding: they are bad news for orchards and young trees. In fact, they recommend not planting young trees in the year preceding the influx. They also feed on large trees (sap, as mfturner said), but to lesser impact. What I've noticed in previous invasions is that there will be brown areas on mature trees. The whole tree will be green, except for the leaves at the ends of some of the branches, which gives the trees a spotted look. When we get to that stage, I'll post pictures.

Re feeding: they are bad news for orchards and young trees. In fact, they recommend not planting young trees in the year preceding the influx. They also feed on large trees (sap, as mfturner said), but to lesser impact. What I've noticed in previous invasions is that there will be brown areas on mature trees. The whole tree will be green, except for the leaves at the ends of some of the branches, which gives the trees a spotted look. When we get to that stage, I'll post pictures.
Talked to the folks last night -- they're out in force in both Ironto and Roanoke.

I have to wait until 2030 for brood 2, which I heard and saw last in 1979.... or else search for some brood 10 next year. Definitely worth the experience!

danelkins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

we get a few in Illinois

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
Someone asked early on in this thread if the cicadas damage trees, so I thought I'd do one last update. Trees in the area area starting to show the impact, but, as you can see, it's not really too bad. The females cut slits in the bark to lay eggs, and the ends of the branches subsequently die. It gives the trees a polka dotted look, but the damage is minimal.

after cicada by Kristi, on Flickr

after cicada 2 by Kristi, on Flickr

And, I found one cicada near ground level. It looks somewhat the worse for wear. They are still making noise in the treetops, but much less than they did earlier in the month.

cicada by Kristi, on Flickr

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom