The 150-400mm f/4.5 PRO lense price on Czech store's website.

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't disagree. But compared to the 150-600 I suggested it is not really any smaller. So I just wasn't sure where the reference to needing a minibus came from.

View attachment 835881

I'm sure the Olympus will be higher grade and better built, and probably a bit sharper. But I pitched this as a cheap alternative. It's a $1200 lens and you could mount it on a $1000 Canon APS-C DSLR for 960mm reach.

The issue of price and value is, of course, forefront with long telephotos in the market as it shrinks. Nikon’s very popular 400 and 500s, and now Canon’s RF long glass are all trying to work overall costs down.

So with this 150-400/4.5, will this be the last self-immolating, gasp-inducing, mocked Olympus zig while other brands zag?

The real issue with this glass and it’s release timing coincidental with the NewCo/JIP takeover, is will they price it just above true manufacture, distribution, and support cost, foregoing R&D payback, or will they roll it all up?

Last edited:

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Shop price versus factory gate price are two different things. And in many regions price fixing is illegal. A better reflection of price tend to come from gray imports.

Giz9

Mu-43 Regular
Add in the 2xTC and for a lens with 2km reach that is abnormally compact.
View attachment 835866

We already know something about the MC-20 when used with the 40-150 f/2.8 and 300mm f/4 and, whilst quite good, it degrades image quality as you might expect. It's only using 1/4 of the light. Adding it to the 150-400 f/4.5 TC with its internal teleconverter already deployed sounds over-ambitious to me.

And what are you going to do with a 1000mm f/11 lens on micro four-thirds? Teleconverters aren't generally useful for photographing distant subjects (apart from astro) because atmospheric effects are usually dominant. i.e. you don't see any improvement in image quality over using a shorter lens because the light received by the lens is already distorted by atmospheric effects. You normally use a teleconverter to help fill the frame with a closer subject. You just spread the same amount of light as a crop over more pixels. More pixels can be beneficial but only when there is sufficent light (corresponding to a reasoble Iso value). That's what more "reach" means. So what subject can you shoot at 1000mm f/11 that couldn't be done better another way? Certainly not small, macro subjects. Certainly not bird in flight. Probably not moving subjects. Probably not indoors... Maybe something quite small, not moving, fairly close but where you can't get any closer. Um...

And bear in mind that if you zoom out below 337.5mm (bare lens), you will actually be collecting less light than the 300mm f/4. So probably don't do that either.

To me, the bare lens (400mm f/4.5) makes sense. Internal TC (500mm f/5.6) makes sense. MC-14 alone (560mm f/6.3) makes sense. At a pinch, internal and MC-14 (700mm f/8) might be usable occasionally but I doubt it. And that's about it. YMMV.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Olympus didn't set the price on the website. And I doubt that there will be a shortage of buyers.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
Len's price info.

Saw this on a Czech store's website: https://www.oehling.cz/olympus-mzui...news&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-07-13

Google Translate shows this:

With VAT: 249 990 CZK
Czech Koruna to US Dollar: $10,665.74

Without VAT: 206 603.00 CZK
Czech Koruna to US Dollar: $8,812.87

3 year warranty.

Olympus may as well exit with a big price. Hope their exit can support the price with some outstanding image quality out of it so old timers can sit back and say, "I remember when Olympus built some good stuff....for a hefty price."
Wow that's too much in my book, but what do I know!

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
If it makes anyone feel better I can advertise the lens on my website for whatever price you like. May as well, I stand just as much chance of getting it right as the Czech site. I'll open the bidding at £3,750. Is that OK?

PS delivery included

Latest threads

Top Bottom