The 150-400mm f/4.5 PRO lense price on Czech store's website.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Joel
Seeing as companies tend to price things differently for different markets....

The Oly 300 f/4 with VAT is 75,990 which is $3231US

Same lens in the US market is $2900 full list.

Soooo, maaaaybeeee it's about 10% higher in the Czech Republic?

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
It makes a 300mm plus the TCs look like the pro grade bargain to me. Use the 40-150 pro (plus TC) for anything shorter (or 75-300, or 50-200 SWD).

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think the lens should have been f4 to properly fight against the likes of Nikon 180-400 f4 which is it's true competition.
180-400mm FoV vs 300-800mm & 360-960mm FoV with the integrated TC?
...I don't think so.

FoV wise, it is a bit closer to this guy stopped down by 1-1/3 EV.
Sigma 300-800.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sigma 300-800 f/5.6 for the curious.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
...I don't think so.

View attachment 835240
Unless of course you're using the Nikon on the D500 with it's 15 crop.

I can see $7,999 as a discount/regular price if that pricing is correct. Higher than I would like, but not unreasonable. And no I'm not the target market for this anyway.

...I don't think so.

View attachment 835240
The Nikon also has 1.4x built in TC. 150-400 is 150-400 on any format just like f4 is f4 on any format but usually we ignore the effective DOF while accepting the FOV, or at least that's how I look at it.
Oly does have extra 30mm on the short side though so I guess it's a level field even with slightly slower aperture.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
How many of these lenses, do you guys think, they’ve built?

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Just a guess...I’d say maybe 3?

On a serious note though, wasn’t the Canon EOS R5 price “leaked” on some random site a couple weeks before it was officially announced, and the “leak” was some astronomical price way above what it was actually released at? Maybe this won’t actually be anywhere near correct? Maybe it’s just wishful thinking...

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Unless of course you're using the Nikon on the D500 with it's 15 crop.
This is true, then the Nikon becomes closer to a 270-600mm. Unfortunately there is no mirrorless D500 followup on Nikon's part...

The Nikon also has 1.4x built in TC. 150-400 is 150-400 on any format just like f4 is f4 on any format but usually we ignore the effective DOF while accepting the FOV, or at least that's how I look at it.
Oly does have extra 30mm on the short side though so I guess it's a level field even with slightly slower aperture.
I bring up the DoF matching just because that is a thing and at those FLs you sometimes need to stop down on some subjects if they're close enough, rendering the 300-800's f/5.6 a little less helpful in some cases when frame filling. Brightness is always good, even if f/4.5 is only a tiny bit (and I mean tiny) dimmer with the tradeoff of weight.

200-560mm at f/5.6 and thereabouts for the Canon as well. They'd outperform the 150-600mm types of lenses from Sigma/Tamron and the NIkon equivalent and alternatively with a 2x TC (which I believe they could support) then yes it'd be closer to a 300-800mm, a bit slower at f/8. Optically I'd likely suspect the 300-800mm likely hits pretty hard but if the US prices are somehow "within the range of semi-immortals" rather than us mortals then the 150-400mm f/4.5 might not be as insane of a lens to look at.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that somehow that price is a placeholder and we might see the thing for $4-5k in the US for real. Even then it likely is outside of my range of affordability and I'd likely just jump for a Sigma 60-600 on a focal reducer which gives a close match (42-426mm f/3.5-4.5) if the O100-400 isn't that good of a lens or can't be used with TCs...

davidzvi

Real Name
David
This is true, then the Nikon becomes closer to a 270-600mm. Unfortunately there is no mirrorless D500 followup on Nikon's part.........
Still early in Nikon's mirrorless and they really don't have any native telephoto lenses to take full advantage of the system yet either; so time will/may tell.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I doubt if there are that many of them around for that price, maybe <50. When our shop's owner special-ordered some of the high-priced ones, they didn't show up that soon so they may have come from Japan instead of a USA warehouse.

Could be they re-worked some of their test versions of this lens by swapping out the tripod collar's mount as that piece has changed a bit. The early promo version showed the strap lug in thin chrome metal above the rotating lens mount's lock knob. The latest version on B&H Photo and the Czech store's website show the strap lug in white the same as the collar and below the rotational lock knob. Seems it is a part of the collar's casting now and not separate.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1574176-REG/olympus_m_zuiko_digital_ed_150_400mm.html/qa

The B&H Photo's website comment about "Notify When Available" may mean they are testing the water to see how many to stock - if any. So far, they seem the only dealer in the USA to be peddling it.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
The price is most likely a placeholder... a guess. The price hasn’t been announced yet. But the lens is probably going to be in that ballpark. The R5 and A9II are excellent, I’m sure, but I don’t at all agree with the FF comparisons and complaining here.

Paired with a X, especially after bird AI tracking comes in an update and improves the hit rate even more (AF is already good enough to not be a problem), this could be an extremely compelling system for birders. It will have massive range and flexibility and be extremely weather resistant — more so than anything else out there. It will (I’m sure) be sharp as a tack and very bright yet with deeper DoF (which is a good thing for bird photography), leveling the IQ playing field (if not surpassing ) against FF setups relying on slower and shorter lenses, teleconverters and cropping. It will be compatible with Oly’s excellent and leading features such as Pro Capture and Sync IS. It wont be the lightest or cheapest rig possible, but it will still be hand-holdable, which along with everything else will put it among the best (even heavier and more expensive) options, and unique in its possibilities.

It won’t have the dynamic range of FF, but this is something I rarely have to deal with and can usually overcome with technique. Also, it will be less capable of low light action than some FF pairs out there, but at that aperture and range it will only lose to heavier and more expensive rigs.

There are smaller, cheaper m4/3 lens options out there, and more announced as on the way. This one will be special. Such a lens is meant for very few buyers, but that’s true for all systems. It’s a statement about the brand’s full potential. It may very well be too late, and concern about Olympus’ future will hurt its sales, but we should know more about the future of the brand by the time this lens comes out.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Oh so cropping a FF image lowers the resolution...compared to shooting directly a cropped image on a cropped sensor...so the difference of this pixel-peeping experiment is worth $6k ? I just want to have the justifications of such a hefty price.
If you crop a FF image, taken off say a 40MP sensor, to the same dimension as a 20MP m43 sensor, then the FF image will be just 10MP. For an FF crop to have the same pixel count off the sensor as a 20MP m43 sensor, the FF sensor would have to be 80MP.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
If you crop a FF image, taken off say a 40MP sensor, to the same dimension as a 20MP m43 sensor, then the FF image will be just 10MP. For an FF crop to have the same pixel count off the sensor as a 20MP m43 sensor, the FF sensor would have to be 80MP.
Plus, a 40MP file won’t have nearly the buffering or burst speed of a 20mp file (Or it will overheat). Just as M4/3 isn’t a free lunch, full frame isn’t either.

Last edited:

skellington

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Keith
Tell me how someone using let's say a $2,200 Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 with a FF body cannot replicate or even get better looking image (dr, subject separation, megapixels) than the m43 lens at +$3,000 (dare I say +$8,000).

Raise a bit the ISO one notch, and crop the image in post to imitate and cheat a "telephoto effect".

Oh so cropping a FF image lowers the resolution...compared to shooting directly a cropped image on a cropped sensor...so the difference of this pixel-peeping experiment is worth $6k ? I just want to have the justifications of such a hefty price.

Olympus thinks that they can sell this lens competing with the Panasonic 50-200 with TCs. Or the Panasonic 100-400. Or the Olympus 300mm. Or the "slightly slower" Olympus 75-300 and Panasonic 100-300 with cropping.

Or they think that the existence of this lens will enhance the brand enough to sell other things.

If you don't want it, don't buy it.

And you keep repeating the same false statements.
  • An FF body with a 400mm at f5.6 does in fact have worse subject separation than the Olympus at 400mm f4.5.
  • If you crop to the same zoom, it doesn't have more megapixels (around 7-10MPix vs 20).
  • If you don't crop it doesn't have anything like the same zoom.
  • If you raise the ISO and crop to lower mega-pixels that you process up to the same size image/print, you won't have better DR or be taking advantage of your full frame sensor.
  • A $2200 budget zoom (comparable to the Panasonic 100-400) certainly has significantly worse optics than a pro lens.
Because of these factors, you won't be able to "replicate or get a better looking image" with your $2500 Canon EOS 5D IV + $2200 lens.

You WILL get better separation, more DR/ISO, and more megapixels with a good quality not-slow 800mm zoom lens on full frame. But that's not what you're talking about. (We can then discuss optical quality and resulting image.)

Why even bring up full frame when you can say the same thing about the Panasonic 100-400?

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Can anyone recommend a suitable camera bag, to accommodate my GX80 and this new lens, water-bottle storage essential.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Can anyone recommend a suitable camera bag, to accommodate my GX80 and this new lens, water-bottle storage essential.
You mean something like this? Or something even smaller?
p1090288-rw2-jpg.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom