1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The 14-150mm does portraiture

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Edmunds, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Hey guys, I was just on a 50 day trip to Indonesia/Thailand/Cambodia. Loved the E-M5 + 14-150 lens for versatility and weight. I switched from an Olympus E-620 + 12-60 + 50-200 combo. My back still thanks me every day.

I love using the long focal lengths for some discreet portraiture, and wanted to share some I got with this lens, as I guess some people wonder how useful it is as a travel lens.

A monk in Angkor Wat, Cambodia.

P6090419.JPG

School girls posing for a photo on top of Borobudur.

P6181127.JPG

Locals washing in the waterfall near the crater lake of Mt Rinjani, Lombok.

P7060076.JPG

A man "collecting" donations in the crater of Mt. Bromo.

P6211324.JPG

Boys watching a show. Whether the biggest show in town was the dancers or me, difficult to tell.

P6221599.JPG

An old man walking through Ta Prohm, Cambodia.

P6110660.JPG

A Hindu girl taking a dip to cleanse her body and mind in the Holy Spring Temple, Bali

P6250021.JPG

An old palace guard in full attire in the Sultan's Palace in Yogyakarta.

P6180997.JPG

Hope you liked them :)

Attached Files:

2. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    Indonesia
    Alex
    Thanks Edmund for sharing your pictures. My hometown is Yogyakarta and your last picture reminds me the humbleness of the palace guardians... Would you share more?

3. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Unfortunately, that's really the only "good" picture I have of the guards there, as I didn't really have a lot of time.

P6181001.JPG

P6180993.JPG

I also have a picture from Borobudur, which goes well with the one above. I think it shows how useful and interesting it can be if you can zoom from 36mm to 150mm in the blink of an eye.

P6181126.JPG

Attached Files:

4. neofx19

neofx19 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Vancouver
    excellent shots. The 14-150mm is highly underrated imo. This is my go to travel lens, all in one.

5. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Edmund -Thank for sharing. Great shots, though I must admit they stir an amount of envy. Visiting Angkor Wat has been a dream of mine for 35 Yrs.

-Chrome

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Lovely set of photos, however since we're talking about lenses and systems
    do you feel the backbreaking set with e-620 could have given you more flexibility in both wide-angle, far zoom and depth-of-focus?
    How would an even smaller system, say a travel-zoom, have coped with the exact same pictures?

7. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I took with me not only the 14-150, but also the 7.5mm fisheye and the 45mm f/1.8, and the whole 3 lens kit still weighed only around the same as the 50-200mm lens ALONE. So in a way, I was even more flexible.

A part of the trip, and one of the main if not THE highlight was a 4 day climb of Mt Rinjani in Lombok. There's no way I could take the 1kg 50-200mm lens up that mountain, I would even have serious doubts about the E-620+12-60 combo. In fact, I wholeheartedly believe I had the best camera+lens combo on that summit that day, I saw no DSLRs (but also no mirrorless).

From a shooting perspective, the only thing I found missing was a fast wide prime, like 12mm f/2 or maybe the 14mm f/2.5 would have sufficed. The difference between 12mm vs 14mm is significant, and that was the only thing I found lacking.

In these countries, there is not a lot of wide angle stuff to shoot. I know this very well, so I was prepared, and for the few times I needed it I had the fisheye. When I go to trips around Europe, I always make it a case to take a wide angle, but then the 12-60 is nowhere near enough. I used to own the Olympus 7-14 f/4 SHG lens, which was fantastic, I am still yet to figure out if the Panny is a good enough replacement.

Also, there is not a lot of need for a greater zoom. 150mm is well enough. Only 7% of my pictures are over 100mm. These countries are horribly overpopulated and there's very little wildlife to shoot, and most people are "cooperative enough" to be within the range of a 100-150mm. If I was going on another trip to Africa where there is incredible wildlife, I would seriously explore other options. So its another "good enough in this case"

P6250041.JPG

IMO, very badly. For starters, the mid-day sun near the equator is crushing. Almost every picture I have had to have highlights toned down and shadows pulled.

14% of my keeper pictures are ISO1600 or over. That is actually quite a lot, and a travel zoom would mean none of these would be practically usable.

20% of my pictures are with the 45mm f/1.8. These countries are the holy grail of portraiture + market pictures, so having an interchangeable lens camera is indispensable. I used to own the Olympus 50mm f/2, and the 45mm f/1.8 absolutely smokes it. The old Oly is a macro with no limiter switch which makes the autofocus performance terrible.

Goooooo now! :thumbup:
    At the moment Cambodia is one of the cheapest countries to travel to. Don't wait until Angkor becomes another Chichen Itza or Phuket (read as Fuk-it).

P6090448.JPG

P6100576-2.

Attached Files:

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Aha I see. Good stuff.

9. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark