1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

That's not a macro lens. THIS is a macro lens.

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by flash, May 27, 2011.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The Japanese company Yahusahara has introduced a new 4-5x macro lens for micro 4/3 this week. Yes, folks. That's 4 to 5 times life size on a micro 4/3 sensor. The only similar lens for regular photography that I know of is the MP-65e for canon.

How close do you need to go?

Details here:

YASUHARA/??????

Gordon

via 1001 Noisy Cameras

• Like Like x 6
  2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Image samples look very soft - not good enough to justify the price. You can get a LOT better using enlarging lenses adapted to some bellows or extension tubes.

3. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    You can go a long way with m43 and old extension tubes and many kinds of lenses. The much touted Canon mpe-65 for example has a lot in common with a combo OM variable extension tube / close up lens combo.

4. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    From the website:
    This seems highly impractical to me for a m43 camera. How would you ever hold it still enough not to get severely blurred images if they are at the micrometer resolution? Even on a tripod or other hard mount, IBIS will be unable to compensate for shutter vibration at that resolution.

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    From the diagram, it appears that the lens includes a holder of some sort, at the precise distance from the lens required for focus. Presumably, the integrated lighting system is geared to that distance.

6. xanaduflipper

xanaduflipper Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    50,000 yen - that's not as much as I thought:
    ex.com £375.00 / $618u.s

I thought it was going to be much more. Its like a portable microscope. I wan't one...but not sure for what exactly!

7. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Around year 2K, there was a Canon EOS 65mm f/2.8 Micro, specialized for 1:1 to 5:1 magnifications. Microtomy-sharp from my experience. Superb finish, tripod collar... They go for $800 to 1,000 second-hand, gracias to some cult followers.

PS: I can understand them, but what I need/want is a 135/2.0 :wink:

PPS: oopsies--Gordon mentioned the Canon already.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Me too ... it would make a great paper weight.

G

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If you're into portable macro ... I think the Canon MP-65e is exceptional and in a class by itself. I want of those too ... I have a lot of paper.

G

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I bet a bellows unit with the proper focal length will be far more effective.... I can't see three LED lights providing enough light to shoot at the small apertures.

I found the Canon MP-E 65 almost useless unless paired with the proper lighting and support.... don't forget to figure in those into the cost. I couldn't justify "keeping" it because macro isn't what I do... but I had fun playing with it.

11. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Innovator or con man? I'll never figure out.

13. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    why a con man?

14. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Dunno. Maybe that mystery RF camera, nothing new in fact, announced years in advance, ending up being produced by its Chinese factory under its own Chinese name. Good marketing, nice buzz as a start, and what in the end?
    Now what? Another project marketed before it's ready, not even a mock-up or a blueprint, just a sketch of a 4x to 5x i.e. nearly fix-focus lens with crazy f/stops starting at f/16 or beyond in defiance of any diffraction laws, and thus resolution limits...
    So to me, either the guy is a genius beyond the beyond of what I can grasp, or a hoax. I'm puzzled, but it reminds me of water combustion engines inventors more than of Maitani.

PS some guy in Spain eBays his What's his name RF, mint, complete with the ugly 50/2.8 for 500€. Collector's item, for sure, but is it history?