1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

That's nice, but what is it?...It's a M4/3.....Yes, but what's that?...Challenge.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Dave in Wales, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    This a conversation a friend and I had recently........That's nice, but what is it?...It's a M4/3.....Yes, but what's that?

All I could think of saying was...well it's mirror-less which makes it a lot smaller than a normal DSLR.

His next question was....What's the M4/3's bit then?

:blush: Stumped, at that instant I could not give him an answer, and that coming from someone that's been 'into' photograhy for more than 50 years is sad indeed.

I have always been a little flummoxed by :43:, to my it has a mystique about it that other types of photography from way back, never had, and yes I've done all the reading.

So........Your mission, Forum Member, is to come up with a succinct sentance that adaquately describes :43:, understandable to me and a non-photo type.

Oh..BTW, I will not be fobbed off with links to other sites who do it better that you can :rolleyes:

Oh..BTW2, I have since taken a severe dive in my friends confidence as the all knowing photo expert. :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I just take the lens off my camera and point at the sensor...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dave's challenge... errr... commandment...

4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    My short answer is that the cameras you see more regularly are essentially film cameras adapted with a digital sensor. That's why they look familiar. A group of companies got together and started with the chip, not the camera, and made these. The bigger chip makes sharper pics, but the gap is closing fast and these cameras make up for it by being much handier to take everywhere.

5. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Micro four thirds native format is 4:3, whereas a "standard" DSLR's native format is 3:2.

My simple answer anyway.

6. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    4/3, whether micro or not, comes from the 4/3" sensor, which has a 21.6mm diagonal (about half that of an old 35mm or new digital "full frame".) The "micro" part comes from removing the mirror, thus reducing the distance from the lens mount to the sensor, allowing for smaller cameras and lenses.

Note: the 4:3 ratio is favored by the 4/3 designers, but that's not the 4/3 in the format name.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This is about as good an explanation as you're going to find to describe the term "micro four thirds". :thiagree:

That said, I'm not sure there's a lot of value in the definition of the term for the layman. When people ask me about my camera, I start by explaining that it offers a really good compromise between size and image quality while allowing me to use a wide range of lenses. If my audience's curiosity continues past that, I might then get into explaining that the system is called :43: and then explain what that means and what trade-offs the design entails.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I jist tell people it's a micro-slr now. Solves a lot of problems quickly without getting into image quality or size discussions. If they're more curious I show them there is no mirror etc, usually side stepping the sensor size issue.

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    A system that offers the quality of APS-C DSLRs and a large selection of of lenses in a smaller, lighter, more convenient package.