That's my boy!

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Spaceghost33, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    I'm probably just being the proud Dad, but this shot was taken by my 5 year old son (Jack). Many of you have seen him as the subject of my past photos (along with his younger brother Sam). We were at a local coffee shop a few weeks ago and he was taking some shots of his brother with my GF1 (yes, I always make sure he uses the camera strap). I didn't notice he took this shot at the time, but was pleasantly surprised that he thought to shoot this. Not a bad shot. At least to his Daddy.:smile:

P1090196.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That shot could be the PERFECT representation of the five year old mind - everything is horribly fuzzy and out of focus, except for the piece of candy that he wants RIGHT NOW, which is fully in focus and at the expense of everything else! Its been 90% of my life ago, so I can't say I remember that well, but I've raised kids more recently than that, and I'd say that's about how it works until they reach the age of reason (you know, somewhere around 35-40...).

That he was able to capture his vision so well in the camera is either a really amazing talent at work or a happy accident! Definitely one to save...

-Ray

3. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Thanks Ray, very insightful. I was thinking along the same lines. I can only wonder if Jack was thinking this when he took the shot.

It may be amazing talent, but more likely, a happy accident. :) He does seem to have an eye for what makes an interesting picture though. Back in the Fall, he and I took a little photo safari trip (he uses my first digital camera - a Canon A70) here on the El in Chicago and we were walking under the tracks and he looked up and said, "Daddy, that would make a good picture". He snapped a good shot looking up at the tracks that I printed and framed for his bedroom.

I'm certainly not going to push him into photography but it's nice to see he does have some interest (especially at 5). Gives us a common hobby that we can share.