thats all into m43...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Chrisnmn, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    so as i probably mentioned before around different threads, since i jumped into m43 (EPL2) i realized while the system was fun, was not quite there yet for "paid" work (im not gonna fall into amateur vs pro thing) specially because even though i tried not, im used to pixel peep sometimes. and pixel peeping m43 vs FF for example for landscape is still not quite there for me.

So long story short i realized i could live with both my 5DMKII and OMD, but the thing is since i've had the OMD i havent touched or even charged the 5d battery. Jokes aside, that also means money sitting on the shelve that could be invested toward getting the best i could afford of the m43 world. I know that m43 is far from being there yet, but things are only getting better and better every day. and i feel way more comfortable with my OMD than my 5D, but what kept me from selling my FF gear was landscaping and "birding" but i stepped with R.Wong's birding post with the OMD and that was what i was expecting to see to jump on selling my FF gear Robin Wong: Olympus OM-D E-M5: KL Bird Park

also on a personal note i work in advertising and i took my OMD into a photoshoot for an Album cover im working on for a metal band, and the camera delivered top quality images for photo manipulation/illustration stuff... ill post that soon as i get it approved by the band!. :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    It was a hard decision for me - It took a long time to afford the Canon gear that I owned and I had steadily been moving up their line of cameras. I was happy with the camera and the results I obtained using it - but like you I found it sitting on the shelf after buying my first :43: gear. I finally decided to sell and that enabled me to upgrade my :43: kit - I'm happy with the choice and the photos I get today.
  3. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Look forward to your shoot pics of the band, hope they give you the "OK."
  4. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    I gave up my Canon gear as well. I had the 5D classic that I thought I could use professionally someday. It was just sitting in a corner giving me the puppy look, begging me to take it out for a walk. So I bought the OM-D and a bunch of lenses that I couldn't afford with the Canon equivalent. I've taken almost 2K shots with it in just one month! lol
  5. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    You're neglecting my 5D? My first full frame digital SLR??? That camera was like a soulmate! What a bunch of heathens you all are! :tongue:

Seriously though, if the OM-D works for you (and the OP), then that is all that matters. The :43: gear is certainly a lot lighter to carry around...
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    it is indeed hard guys to make the switch, considering it took me a lot of waiting and money to get the 5dmkii in the first place. but im all into smaller "pro" systems!. good thing though is that ill get some cash to get some top glass for my OMD!.
  7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Glad it's working for you Chris! The following:

is very relevant for a lot of pro/semi-pro applications, I suppose. Meaning with the same cash investment you can obtain more options (high quality lenses, additional lighting, etc, not to mention computer software, even tuition) when you go for :43:. And since there is no overall quality handicap for your work, then it's a win-win situation.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    agreed, i am getting a couple more lenses then its all into books and lights. ive got the computer and all my photo and graphic design software already so im all set on that aspect. but i need some m43 advice...i created a thread for those if you want to add something!!! would be much appreciated! :2thumbs:
  9. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I recently sold all my Canon, though I don't do anything paid and it was only APS-C bodies there was a fair bit of cash because there was a fair bit of L glass. As I had bought more and more m43 in the past years I rationalized I'd cover that expense when I sold the Canon stuff. What really happened was when I sold the Canon stuff I just bought more m43 gear!

Best of luck with your switch, though it sounds like it is going great already.

• Like Like x 1
  10. robertdc

robertdc New to Mu-43

Aug 17, 2012
    I've just done this too. Bought the OM-D a couple of weeks ago along with the Olympus 12mm and 45mm, and Panasonic 25mm lenses. 75mm on pre-order.

I mainly do street photography and what I particularly like, apart from the size, is the touch, focus and shoot option via the LCD. I've been really impressed with the image quality so just sold my D800 and various big heavy lenses. Just couldn't see myself lugging all that equipment around anymore.

I still wonder if I've done the right thing but I'm just an enthusiast for now and I feel its better to have a small, easy-to-handle camera with me all the time, ready to shoot than a heavy 36MP camera that I and everyone else is always too aware of!

With the money I'm getting back from sale of the Nikon gear I've been able to buy a really good set of new lenses and will maybe add a second body at some stage.

Overall I've been amazed at the IQ - not quite up to the D800 standard of course but I think better than my X100 which I might also sell eventually.
  11. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I know exactly how you feel, ive also read that though the nikon d800 its a beast in both size and weight but most important in the iq department, i dont see 40mb raw files clogging my computers hard drive with "weekend trips" or "lunch breaks walks" so unless you re not going two print billboard size prints then it doesnt make any sense.