That weird little handle on the aperture ring? Nikkor-S

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by wetterberg, Jun 19, 2012.

1. wetterberg

wetterberg Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    Hi all,

so I'm really new to adapted lenses - in fact I'm still waiting for my damned adapters to be delivered!

My question is in regard to my newly purchased Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4 - its aperture ring has that little metal tab on it, as seen in the lower right of this picture:

My understanding is that this used to fit with a pin on the nikkormat cameras et al, presumably for automatic aperture control.
    My question is; has anyone crafted a little button/nodule to mount here to make the operation a bit more fun? I'm thinking along the lines of Leica lenses, or the old Jupiter ones, that have some grip to them?

cheers for any help - I'm fairly certain that protrusion there even has a name... if one of you knows it, it would certainly help my googling along a bit ;)
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    You mean like those big jewel-like knobs they have for steering wheels, or a grinning silver skull, an Eight Ball, maybe a white knob with a shift pattern, a blinking LED, a pair of dice, a roach clip ...

Nope, haven't seen one.

That tab (the slot) mates with it's light meter counterpart on the old Nikon film cameras allowing TTL metering. It worked but I always felt it was a bit on the clunky side of engineering.

3. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    You're correct, that is what coupled the lens to the meter on Nikon F models and some Nikormats.

You set the lens to 5.6 to mount it, then you set the lens to its widest aperture. this would tell the meter on the camera what the aperture range was for that lens.

Even after Nikon came out with auto-indexing lenses and cameras they kept the coupling for several generations of lenses so that they would be backward compatible with older cameras.

I don't know of any attachments that used the index coupling for other purposes.
  4. wetterberg

wetterberg Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    okay, in a way I'm glad they appear to not exist, these imaginary products I have going on in my head.

Now, aesthetics-wise; would a Leica-style doodad there be tacky? It sure would be useful, right?
  5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I think you just found your million dollar idea. Now go start a Kickstarter campaign and get it done.
  6. wetterberg

wetterberg Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    hehe, I was thinking more like little trinkets to send to mates. :)

Honestly, I think I'd totally dig CNC'ing little caps. Or turning some like the Jupiter8s on a lathe. Hell, even 3d-printing might be fun.
  7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I'm with you. I don't even have any of these Nikon, but if you start CNC'ing aperture rings doo-dads I might have to get some. I'm with Gary, I think a tiny skull would be pretty sweet.
  8. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The Bunny Rabbit Ears are on the top of the aperture, easily come off with the two screws that hold them in. The lens will not be able to hear after removing them.

They were used to couple the aperture with the camera's meter. The DS-1 and DS-2 EE servo-Motor also linked to the Ears to physically turn the aperture ring automatically, providing shutter-preferred automatic operation on the F2S and F2SB cameras. Cool to watch, faster to do by hand.