1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'THAT' Grip..My opinion....UPDATE..!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, May 12, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Remember IMVHO :rolleyes:

It arrived this morning.

Score....100%, in fact I'm so pleased with it I'll make that 101%.

Handling is improved 50% with just the grip, handling is improved by 101% with the grip and battery pack as well.

It is superb, I never imagined that the handling of a camera could be improved so much.

The shutter releases now falls under my forefinger, no more searching for it.

Love the portrait grip/battery back.

So it's a bit heavier, but it 'feels' so right, it's like a house-brick with a lens.

It it wasn't 'free' then I would have to have bought one.

Get into a store and try one, I doubt you'll be disapointed.

I always liked the look of the top end Nikons and Canons with the portrait grip integral, this is as near as I'm going to get, it looks like a mini D4 :smile:

Darth Vader is fully kitted-out, a very good camera has just become a great camera.

Olympus, I think you got it right.

UPDATE...When using the grip in horizontal mode allways remember to 'lock' the controls on the battery pack.
    The main dial I found was being turned by the ball of my thumb and changing the settings.

There's lovely.

P1010265-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

P1010267-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

P1010268-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

P1010269-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

P1010271-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's not for me but sure is a looker!

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What about just the horizontal grip, Amin? You gotta get us some more opinions and pictures of that, Dave. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Looks like it's all business. I'm dying to get mine.

5. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I've never really considered the grip. My intent for the E-M5 was for a small package with IQ punch :)

Looks extremely functional for the ones that want a larger grip. I just would grab my 5dmk2 if I wanted larger.

cool look'n though!!

6. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    I never purchased a grip before, but I will when it will come time to get the E-M5 - this should help a lot with using my longer legacy lenses.

The E-M5 was the camera missing from the MFT lanscape - a higher end one. I hope they'll start putting out f/2 zooms next, like they did for FT.

7. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I LOVE just the horizontal grip... IMO, a Must, esp. when walking around. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I'll probably get the grip at some point to use with with large lenses. I like the results I'm getting with the E-M5 and the 70-300 4/3 lens, but I find the lens unwieldy on the body. For my normal, everyday shooting, I doubt I'd use it -- too modern DSLR like, too big and bulky. BUT I think that DSLR form is great with big, bulky lenses. I like that I get to switch between one form factor and another all in using one camera. Once I get the grip, I'll be retiring my E-510, which I mostly use for birding and (using the 70-100's great close up capabilities) insects, along with the occasional small reptile.

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm starting to think that the large grip should have been designed into the body as an integral part of the shape to begin with, rather than having an expensive add-on. That might have enabled it to be slightly smaller with the battery grip on, too. I don't really understand Olympus' aversion to grips; they sound bigger on paper but they only matter if you're carrying the camera around without a lens and I really don't think people do that much at all.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I understand Olympus's aversion to grips, at least deep grips on their m4/3 lineup, and I share it. The E-M5 would have been too big for my daily shooting, and I would not have bought it just to do birds with a big telephoto. From where I am coming from the add on, though expensive, makes perfect sense; I would not have been as interested in the camera, would certainly not have pre-ordered it, if it had a bigger or bulkier form. My OM-1 didn't have a grip either, and it remains the standard by which I judge cameras. Different strokes for different folks, but at least this way the E-M5 is capable of pleasing both camps, albeit with an added expense.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Firstly, congrats ... alls-well that ends-well.

From film to digital all my cameras had/have grips (sans the GF1). Love the better feel and added power of grips.

G

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I bought a Panny 100-300 (coming in the mail next week). It will probably be quite comical on my EPM1. I think I'm hoping it will convince me to buy an EM5 + grip. I think I need professional help.

Thanks for the mini-review!

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Not for me, Ned. The grip built into the camera is just right (for me), especially with the built in thumb rest.

14. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Dave... great post, thanks. No doubt the grip makes the camera really handle fully and solidly like pro gear and not like a miniature hobbyist's camera.

I will definitely use the grip in part or full form when shooting with larger/heavier lenses. I was recently doing some shooting with my Zeiss Planar 85mm f/1.4 lens, which is a bulky, heavy lens - that I love. No doubt the camera would handle much better in such cases with the grip - so I'm looking forward to it.

With the pancake lenses, I don't see the grip being quite as needed. What's great is having the flexibility to configure the camera as needed for the particular task at hand.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I am actually curious, how does the EM5 stock grip compare to the large accessory grip for the EP3? I am hoping that the EM5 handles better with large lenses but I haven't found a comparison photo.

16. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I like the way the camera handled without it, after I bought on the grip I don't think I'll ever take it off. I think it uglies up the camera (just a little), but it shoots the ergonomy (is that a word?) straight through the roof. It really is the both of both worlds. Leave the grip off for your little serious compact (which many will call pocketable,.....what kind of pockets do you people have?!) or put the grip on and you can easily on hand that bad boy all day long with the biggest lens you have.

It feels so good in the hand, that I don't want to put it down....and isn't that the ultimate compliment. I feel like a rube paying $300 for a chunk of plastic, but once I had tried it, I couldn't go back. That grip is like crack.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    "That grip is like crack."

But safer, and cheaper in the long run.

• Like Like x 2
  18. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Having both... (I'll try to remember to take a pic ASAP)... the new grip for the E-M5 is much more reassuring...but that being said, I still love the Large grip on the E-P3.

19. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    UPDATE added.

20. jamsa

jamsa New to Mu-43

May 13, 2012
    highlandsUK
    SO jealous LOL

I have bought Olympus Cameras over the years and every time missed out on the freegrip, with the E-1, the E-3 and E-5!
    Will have to get one when I can afford it..thanks for the review, just makes me jealous of missing out yet again!
    Get my Oly EM5 tmw!:smile: