That Fuji is large

Mu-43 Legend
RT_Panther: I mentioned it's big (really, more like bigger than I expected, and big for APS-C). You responded "Fuji never said it was small."

My comment was not meant to be "Fuji is true/untrue to their marketing claims" my comment was "this thing is too big when I compare it to m43." More specifically, when I consider replacing my EPM1 with this, it's out of the jacket-pocket category, and into the neck or sling strap size.

I feel the fact that the M9 and XPro is as irrelevant to me as the fact that the Nikon D4 is bigger. The Fuji is still bigger than my m43, and that should be a consideration for those who are concerned about small cameras.

Any rate, you're welcome to have the last word (and requisite smiley). I'm less concerned about who it competes with, than whether its a camera for me (or for someone who values compact shooters).

nickthetasmaniac

Mu-43 All-Pro
Via the brilliant site CameraSize.com...

Still interested?

Still very interested... :smile:

As we all know, it's the lenses that often make the difference for size, and as the shots on DPR show, the X-Pro + 35/f1.4 is about the same depth as the GX1 + PL25 and actually shallower than the NEX7 + CZ24

sbsgx1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

sbsnex7.jpg

Anyway, I suspect that the X-Pro would fit in a Domke F10 with the 18mm, 35mm and 60mm, which would make it small enough for me... I'll await the reviews with interest :smile:

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred

It's within a couple of millimeters and lighter. It's definitely too big if you prefer a smaller camera. But, if you ever used a Leica M series camera you would find that it's very comfortable to hold and operate. With the exception of the disastrous M5, which was bigger, photographers have been using the M's for 58 years without complaining about the size. The smaller Leica CL was nice, but not nearly as easy to operate.

Fred

John M Flores

Super Moderator
It's within a couple of millimeters and lighter. It's definitely too big if you prefer a smaller camera. But, if you ever used a Leica M series camera you would find that it's very comfortable to hold and operate. With the exception of the disastrous M5, which was bigger, photographers have been using the M's for 58 years without complaining about the size. The smaller Leica CL was nice, but not nearly as easy to operate.

Fred

Very good point. I'm very sensitive to size and weight since I often carry the cameras on my back on a motorcycle. The Fuji would still work in that scenario, but the price is the deal breaker, especially since I need an extra one for backup!

@NicktheTasmaniac - those grabs show that Sony's really gotta make primes that take advantage of the NEX-7! And I would still count the GX1 as significantly smaller, and cheaper too since I already have most of the glass!

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
@Nickthetasmaniac - Thanks for posting the comparison including the lenses.

The XP1 might have a large body relative to a GX1 or even NEX7. But like the M9, if size is an issue for anyone, the compelling factor is the package as a whole. It appears that Fuji will be keeping the lenses to a manageable size in which they won't be too large or too small. But definitely smaller than NEX lenses. Moreover, the XP1 has a built-in OVF/EVF. Put the EVF on a GX1, and it gets much taller. I think the XP1 could have been made thinner if it was EVF only.

I am pretty excited about the XP1 and will likely get one, IF the IQ is as good as the X100 even with the extra megapixels. I'll be even more excited if Fuji improves the AF's speed and accuracy, and brings it on par with the GH2/G3/GF3.

Serhan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For me price is the major one, then the IQ, af speed and the overall size. Now the reviews are coming out, we'll know more.

Mirrorless rumors are linking to 3 reviews:
Mirrorless Rumors | Blog | Triple Fuji X PRO 1 preview at Gizmodo, Engadget and Digitalcamerainfo.

The first is from Gizmodo: “The camera’s one drawback, and Fuji has told us that this will be the case on the production models, is that the autofocus isn’t going to be as snappy as it is on other cameras. Fuji says thats because that’s not what this camera is about.”

And Engadget says: “the X-Pro1 can produce usable 16-by-20-inch prints even at ISO 25,600, which is the maximum supported sensitivity. Identical images shot with the 5D Mark II showed significant noise in shadow areas, while the Sony Alpha A77 (NEX-7) produced an image that you certainly wouldn’t want hanging on a wall…Again, all of these samples were provided by Fujifilm, and were not the result of independent testing.”

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
Still very interested... :smile:

As we all know, it's the lenses that often make the difference for size, and as the shots on DPR show, the X-Pro + 35/f1.4 is about the same depth as the GX1 + PL25 and actually shallower than the NEX7 + CV24

sbsgx1.jpg

sbsnex7.jpg

Anyway, I suspect that the X-Pro would fit in a Domke F10 with the 18mm, 35mm and 60mm, which would make it small enough for me... I'll await the reviews with interest :smile:

Thanks Nick,

It's interesting. The NEX negates it's body size with large lenses and the GX1 has no viewfinder. Stick that on top and theree's not much in it. I was going to get a NEX7 to play with, but since Fuji will probably be the first with constant apeture zooms (Panasonics are still "concepts") I may go this way instead. Just need to make the 60mm macro 1:1, somehow.

Gordon

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
I'd wait for the rumored Olympus digital OM before making any rash decisions. That might be the camera we've all been waiting for! :wink:

No, the E-P3 was the camera I'd been waiting for. :biggrin:

Main piority now is to buy a few extra bits of glass to decorate the front! :wink:

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Oddly enough, all this talk of the Fuji is making me want the Leica! I'd have to sell the car though...

Mu-43 Legend
you dont need to drive
you need to walk everywhere so you can stop to take photos along the way!
duh! ;)

I'm guessing John's car is his secondary mode of transportation. Just don't sell your bike, John!

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
When I first saw it I thought it looks sweet but for the $1200 they're going to want for it I'll pass.

$1700?

It's large all right. :biggrin:

:43:!!!

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm still concerned about focus system on the Leica. Any firmware updates to improve it would need to applied directly to my brain.

I don't think u will get any firmware from Leica . It will come with next generation Leica M10 with 720p video , 460K LCD and a price tag of USD15k ..
Cheers

Bill

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill (really)
Autofocus

For me price is the major one, then the IQ, af speed and the overall size. Now the reviews are coming out, we'll know more.

Mirrorless rumors are linking to 3 reviews:
Mirrorless Rumors | Blog | Triple Fuji X PRO 1 preview at Gizmodo, Engadget and Digitalcamerainfo.

I suspect that an autofocus speed problem grows out ot the difficulty in doing contrast detection with the new 6x6 sensor matrix being 9 times the size of the 4x4 Bayer grid that others use.

(Everything is connected to everthing.)

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I suspect that an autofocus speed problem grows out ot the difficulty in doing contrast detection with the new 6x6 sensor matrix being 9 times the size of the 4x4 Bayer grid that others use.

(Everything is connected to everthing.)

I think my enthusiasm for the X-Pro1 is finally disappearing! After watching the videos, the camera seems as snappy as my E-PL2, which means my E-PM1 is much faster. I think I'll stick to my current kit for now!

Latest threads

Top Bottom