1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured That dress!

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by TomServo, Oct 24, 2018.

1. TomServo

TomServo Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson
    Here are a few samples from my recent "Classic Hollywood" style portraits shoot in which Elisabeth and I stopped doing just "portraits" and spent some time just having her play with the vintage dress she was wearing. Totally unexpected results and so thankful we took the time.

Specs: OMD-EM1 mkii | 14-54 2.8-3.5 lens (second version) | Main light - Interfit HoneyBadger with a 22" beauty dish with grid | second Honeybadger to camera left with 7" grid on it | Processed in Camera Raw and Photoshop.

Elisabeth Donaldson_110.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Elisabeth Donaldson_114.jpg
    Elisabeth Donaldson_121.jpg
    Elisabeth Donaldson_124.jpg
    Elisabeth Donaldson_129.jpg

• Winner Winner x 37
    • Like Like x 35
    • Wow Wow x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TomServo

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson
    Thanks everyone for making this a featured post. Very proud to be in such good company. :) 

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. joeyjiang

joeyjiang Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, California
    Joe Jiang
    Stunning work

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. I'm just impressed someone named a light after a honey badger.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast Subscribing Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    They have an beautiful and ethereal quality to it that I find attractive. Nice work!

6. Paul C

Paul C Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2017
    Great Picture - Great Lighting - Even Greater Processing (bright highlights but with all that low key dark space noise well controlled - masterfully done sir!).

As it happens, I have just spent the holidays reading "One Light Flash: Professional-Quality Lighting on a Budget" (Lark Photography Book (Paperback)) By John Denton.
    Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 10.11.48.png

This is available in the local library here in the UK [UK public libraries are a great source of photo' books to read if you haven't tried them out recently]......And by luck - I have just been given a great manual "generic" vari-power flashgun with a slave synch system that can exclude triggerring with the pre-flashes of my Lumix G.

Life is full of coincidences - so after this inspiring photo - it looks like Low-Key Flash Portrait is a great photgraphic theme to be trying out in 2019.

Any readers like to suggest other tips, books or webpages to help me play catch up with Tom Servo's skilled picture making?

Best wishes - Paul C in the UK

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TomServo

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson

Thank you. It looks like the compressed versions of these that uploaded crunched the highlights on her face a little, but I admit I was concentrating on the dress. Looking at other photos from the same shoot that day I think I didn't blow out the highlights in the portraits. You can see some more here: Classic Hollywood Portraits - Jackson Photoworks

• Like Like x 2
  8. roelwillems

roelwillems Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Roel Willems
    Stunning work! Really like how the low key shots show the fabric and folds of the dress and how this is contrasted by the smoothness of the skin (I really like how the highlights on the face reduce contrast there). Well done, very inspiring!

9. Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis Mu-43 Veteran

Love, love, love the last one. Stunning, indeed.

10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    'cause that light don't care!

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    TomServo thank you for posting beautiful pictures of a beautiful woman in a beautiful dress.
    (Hardly ever happens here)

12. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Gorgeous work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.