1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

That awkward moment between touching and not touching

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by rapsquared, Dec 29, 2011.

1. rapsquared

rapsquared Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    • Like Like x 20
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    that's my favorite part.....ah, young love

3. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    Just curious since all the lights are at the same distance, why are the ones between the two silhouette more in focus than the ones to the right or left?

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    cuuuuute.

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    great shot!

6. rapsquared

rapsquared Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    thanks luke, dixeyk and john!

dennisk, i used a fujian 25 1.4, its a c-mount lens, the lack of focus in the corners is a characteristic of this lens :)

7. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    With all due respect, that's much more than the corners out of focus. I'm also puzzled by the centre only being in focus.

8. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    From my perspective - or from someone focussing on the story being told by this image - I'm not sure the sharpness of the corners would add anything to the dialogue....actually it might detract from it. The subject - being the two silhouetted figures are razor sharp - and I don't think during the moment they are experiencing (that of thrilling anticipation) that they are much focussing on the bright lights in front of them. Actually it is all more likely a blur from their perspective as all their energies are drawn inwards and all feeling is focussed on the feeling, the brush and tender touch, at their respective arms from the other.

A story well told rapsquared. Thank you so much for sharing...

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's why alcohol should be the part of every first date! After a couple drinks I'm all about touching! :wink:

10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Haha who cares of about the focus here ..Its a different composition and marvellous shot indeed .
    Love it .. HAve u seen there are young lovers in there ??
    Cheers

11. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Actually, they look very comfortable with each other, to me. It's not always about "touching". Very nice capture. And I don't care about "sharp" in this image. It's about the moment, and emotions suggested.

12. RayB

RayB Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2010
    California
    Still, it is a legitimate technical question - the abrupt change in focus from the right side to the left side of the male figure.

13. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    I love this picture!

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I echo John ... and add a well done.

Gary

PS- Photography is a communications tool ... one way to gauge the success of the image is by "thought promotion", (i.e.- how much or how little), this image is very thought provoking and has generated a wide spectrum of thoughts.
    G

15. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree. It's also a great shot to illustrate why photography is interesting. We don't know if this is a first date and both people have nervously crossed their arms because they don't know where to put their hands, or if they have been married for 10 years and have arms crossed defiantly as they refuse to yield from their side of an argument as they pretend to enjoy the pretty lights.

Like other art forms it is open for interpretation.

16. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    My apologies if this didn't come across clearly the forst time, but regardless of my feelings for the merit of the shot itself (and I do think it is beautiful), I am actually more intrigued by the fact that such an odd part of the photograph is in focus, as was originally pointed out before me.

So, hats off for the photo... but, with the hat off, I'm still scratching my head.