1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thanksgiving Lens Test Game!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by oldracer, Nov 22, 2012.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    We're going to my sister's late today and I just got a new lens, so this morning I decided to set up a little test to compare what I own.

The test was pretty simple. I shot a resolution chart with 5 lenses, all at an angle of view (35mm equivalent)of 28mm, ISO 200, F4, 1/20th second exposure. The lens test chart was about 9 feet from the camera, and was in the center of the frame. Exposures required a slight amount of equalization to get them all to the same brightness and white balance, which I felt was necessary to making comparisons.

I did not resize them to be identical in dimensions because that would probably mess up the resolution results. The different sizes you see are due to the marked focal lengths (28 mm equivalent) not being quite accurate.

The lenses were (in no particular order) 14-140mm, 12mm, 9-18 mm, Canon G12, and the much-maligned original Oly 14-42. (In the case of the 12mm I moved the tripod forward to approximate the 28mm FOV.)

Here are the 100% crop shots, ordered from best to worst according to my eye looking at them blown up in Lightroom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So,

(1) What do you think about the differences between the photos?

(2) Can you guess what the best and worst were? Or match them all up?

I'll post my conclusions in a day or two.

2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Am I the only person who never maligned the original 14-42 Olympus m4/3 zoom? I still use it with perfectly good results on my E-P2 on occasion. Usually I shoot primes, but if I want an all round single lens for the day, and do not want to deal with the length of the 12-50 that came with the E-M5, I'll use the old 14-42, not with the E-M5 but with the E-P2. It fits nicely in a large vest pocket.

That said, when I was travelling a year ago I brought the later version that came with the E-PM1.

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    The one that jumped out at me was C - looks much clearer and sharper.