Thanks, you early adopters.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sprinke, Feb 9, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Frankly, I'm very surprised at the number of people who have said that they pre-ordered the new Olympus camera. Yes, I like its looks and specs, and I wouldn't say no if someone offered me one for free, but I'm not the type to pre-order something that expensive without any real-world information available!! Heck, DPReview hasn't done a review yet.

But, I'd like to thank all your early adopters! It means I'll get the benefit of your opinions before I actually make any decisions. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I'm not one of those, but if I had the cash to burn, I probably would too. At this point really it's the Olympus brand - you know (or at least have a fairly good idea of) what you'll get. How much worse can it be from an E-P3, right? :smile:

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think this is a good point. My expectations are that it will perform similarly to the GX1 from a RAW perspective and that the IBIS will be slightly improved over the E-P3. That sounds good to me.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The fact is that the pre-orders come with zero risk. If you are buying form Adorama, Amazon or B&H you have a liberal return policy within 30 days as long as you don't abuse the camera or put too many clicks on it. I think you are only out shipping costs.

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    If I lives in the US, I might have pre-ordered by now, with the liberal return policy, but here in HK, we don't have such luxury and the return shipment costs to the US is way too high to justify a pre-order in the US...

Besides, I also prefer seeing and handling the real thing before splashing out on one...

6. Just curious, do all these returned cameras get resold to some poor sucker as new stock, or as price reduced "refurb" models?

7. Wormwood

Wormwood Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I am more than happy to wait for the year to roll into half time. By then the unit should be cooler and the prices a little bit easier to managed. That and the fact people will have had time to handle it and work the ins and outs for me - kind of like getting pre-broken-in shoes.

Wormwood

• Like Like x 1
  8. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I preordered and should have plenty of time to cancel before it gets shipped if it doesn't revue well.We will be getting reports over the next few weeks as to it's worth.

9. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    If the IQ is better than the G1 I have, then there's nothing for me to lose on the pre-order.

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Reputable vendors, like B&H and Adorama, will sell them as demos or used, not as new.

+1, except for the shoes....

Unless, of course, it's not as good as a GH2, which you could have ordered instead.

11. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I ordered from Amazon cause they had all the accessories I wanted. Now I see a few comments not very pro on Amazon and their history with receiving stock. I wonder if I will regret using Amazon. :rolleyes: