1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Thanks to Mu-4/3 and its members

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Lawrence A., Nov 3, 2012.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I've been shooting a lot of film the past few months, having acquired a Bessa R and a Hasselblad 500CM, so have been hanging around the rangefinder forum to share some of my film shots, and an occasional image from the E-M5. As in this group here, the people there are friendly, encouraging, willing to share their ideas in a constructive way, almost never rudely or aggressively. There is on rare occasions the troll rearing its ugly head, but they are shot down rather quickly -- and decisively.

Those are the characteristics that bring me back to mu-4/3.com. I feel like a know many of the people on this blog, and I am happy I do. From the sometimes feisty Bhupinder to the unfailingly polite and positive Rev. Bob, the friendly Twocatmew, (sorry I can't name you all!) there is a healthy variety of personalities and points of view, but things rarely get ugly. When they threaten to go that way the moderators step in with a firm but never angry or hurtful warning.

I bring this all up and give thanks for it because I happened to click on a DPreview forum today. When I went to Asia last year I sold my XZ-1 and bought an E-PM1 as a second camera; I did not want to entrust those once in a lifetime shots to a point and shoot. But I've missed it, and having decided on replacing it, I wanted to read some comparisons between it and the Fuji X-10. On DPreview one fellow had some nice things to say about the XZ-1 in a head on comparison (reiterating what certain professional reviewers had also said, so he was not being insanely off the mark), and several follow-up posts heaped a kind of personal abuse on him that thankfully has no place on this forum, and no place, really, among civilized adults. Anyone with so fragile an ego that he cannot have a disagreement without exhibiting hateful rage, has a problem that needs to be referred to a professional. Unfortunately, it seems that cyber-anonymity can unleash a lot of meanness. (Political forums are even worse, God help us.)

So thank you all for being so swell!

Oh! I got the XZ-1 for $199 on Amazon. It was just too good a deal to pass up, especially as I have the VF2 already and know that I like this little beast as a raw shooter. I don't like its jpegs, but the developed raw files look really good. However I won't call you names if you disagree with me.

• Like Like x 15
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks for the kind words, Larry. I'm more than a little biased, but I agree we've got a very special place here.

That XZ1 deal is fantastic btw.

• Like Like x 3
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Thank you Larry. Amin has established a unique and comfortable place here and lots of folks work hard to keep it that way. I'm glad that I discovered this site and I know that lots of others feel that way as well. Thanks for stating very eloquently what many of us also believe.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks Larry

Thanks a lot for those kind words Larry. This place offers more thank just camera discussion ( free beer coupons to members with 2000+ posts) lol . Amin and mods have done a wonderfully job and I have to be feisty domes to keep everyone awake but in reality I am cool as cocumber .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree with Lawrence, this forum has very helpful and friendly members. We might disagree about things but it stays civilized. I have been on and left some other forums where people were just rude in some cases threatened violence.

6. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    aslong as nobody insults Rockabilly, then they won't draw the wrath of the HepKitty from Hepcat City..aka Lucille....

This place jumps daddy-o!

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Perhaps we need to add music to the list of topics not to be discussed along with religion and politics. The Rockabilly crowd seems a bit raucous! (But we love 'em!) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  8. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    I`m not quite sure what you said, but I think your car shots are great.

But the OP is spot on, I also really appreciate this site, No the community.
    I knew next to nothing When I got my camera, but what I have learnt here in the last 6months probably better than paying for a course. ask a question get good answers, post some pics get great feedback and advise.

I spend more time here now than the forums for my other hobbies.

great and thanks

• Like Like x 3
  9. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    And I meant to mention the saucy Lucille as one of our invaluable members -- rockabilly and all!

10. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I officially dub you "Bhupinder The Cool-as-a-cucumber Camera Dude". Enjoy your knighthood!

As for feisty: I get hot under the collar so often I've scorched my shirts. I used to think of myself as a kind of Marlboro man in a cardigan sweater, but I'm really just another irritable Celt with pretensions of serenity.