1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Thanks' Button Replaced - New System Issues, Feedback, etc

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Many members have noticed that the old "Thanks" button is gone and has been replaced with a new "Thanks" system.

There are two reasons for the change:

1) The hack we were using isn't being updated and has compatibility issues with other site security updates, etc. So far we've been able to work around it, but there is a high likelihood that we'll run out of solutions soon. I wanted to move to a new system before being forced into it.

2) Some members have used the new system on other sites (eg, TalkNEX, GetDPI, and others) and specifically requested it because it provides notifications for thanks and the thanks tree. It's basically more fully featured. I do understand that there are people who don't want notifications, but you should know that there are others who do want them.

There are some issues with the change:

1) It breaks the ability of our Mu-43 app (for iOS and Android) to use the Thanks system. Eventually our developer will fix this, but I can't give an ETA.

2) Visibility with the dark theme is poor. I may be able to fix this myself and will see what I can do.

Some things you may or may not be aware of:

1) There is an app called Tapatalk (for iOS and Android) which does work with the new thanks system. I personally prefer this app to the dedicated site app. However, Tapatalk is not free (price depends on version which you get).

2) Some members were not aware that you can visit the site on an iPod without using our app. Ie, using the browser (Safari) as you would do from a desktop. The thanks system works fine if you browse that way.

With regards to thanks notifications, there is no way for me to make that a user configurable option. I can turn off notifications for everyone, so if they are very annoying, let me know. However, give it a chance before you weigh in, because the notifications might grow on you.

I'm a member at GetDPI, and at first I found the notifications annoying. On the other hand, if you post a photo and no one thanks it or replies in any way until two weeks later, you won't even know that it happened without a notification, and in that setting it's kind of nice to get the notification that someone finally appreciated your post.

Feel free to weigh in on the changes.

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I like the changes ... and the notifications for the reasons you mention. I use Tapatalk, and it lets me "like" posts, but I don't see any evidence that my "like" actually took. It *does* tell me I've already liked a post if I try to like it again though. :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I appreciate the changes. Before, I'd see my "thanks" number go up, but since the statistics only listed that a post had been thanks, but not *which* post had received the latest thank, I was always wondering what photo of mine someone had been looking at. It's nice to be able to see now what images have received the most appreciation.

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    now i dont know how to "thank" through the ipad or iphone as theres no button in it as it was before. :-(

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I put in a request with our developer (ForumRunner) to support the new thanks system. If they don't support this in the near future, we will most likely switch to a different developer (Tapatalk) for our forum app.

In the meanwhile, if you want this functionality now, you can get the phone version of Tapatalk for $3 which will also work on iPad: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapatalk-forum-app/id307880732?mt=8

There is also an iPad version of Tapatalk (Tapatalk HD) for $5 which is nicer on the iPad but doesn't work on the phone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapatalk-hd-for-ipad/id481579541?mt=8

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I got a Tapatalk update last night that lets me "like" and "unlike" posts, so the new system is fully supported. Great! :smile:

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I just installed Tapatalk 2 and it seems to work quite well.

Regards,

Jim

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

9. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Got Tapatalk 2 as well. So far so good.

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Thanks Amin, I saw the changes and figured out they're not compatible with ForumRunner. Knowing how well you run things, I assumed an update was probably in the works :smile:

On a related note, I use Tapatalk for the FujiXSpot forum, but I have found Tapatalk frustrating viewing images linked from Flickr and other sources... it will only show thumbnails and clicking images forces a load of the flickr page instead of a larger view within the app. The dedicated app for here and SC handles those much more gracefully. Though I will note I'm using the original Tapatalk app, it may be better with the newer "HD" release for iPads? But, I'm loathe to pay for it (again) unless I can confirm it'd improve the behavior.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm using Tapatalk 2 on Android, and when I tap the thumbnail of a photo with a Flickr source, it shows the full screen view without going to Flickr. On my iPad, I'm using regular Tapatalk and it does what you said - goes to Flickr - very annoying, so on the iPad I use the regular website via Safari instead of Tapatalk.

On the iPhone, they have both regular Tapatalk and Tapatalk 2 still selling. I didn't realize that until just now that you brought it up. I assume Tapatalk 2 for iPhone and Tapatalk HD for iPad will do what you want, but I can't guarantee that.

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The thanks doesn't display under a post as it did before.
    All I'm seeing (Opera11) is an annoying white bar with a grey heart at the left side. No numbers, no list of users who "thanked".
    A forest of "tahnks" under a photo post was always interesting, indicating a definite good picture and sometimes a conversation topic.
    A list of "thanks" was also great for supporting posts in an argumentative thread.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I installed Opera 11 to see what you're seeing, and this is what I see in Opera:

8594053005_5d8fd636c1_z.

Are your Opera settings on defaults? Maybe some ad blocking or similar issue?

14. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Good to know, since I still have the original Tapatalk on my phone too... I guess I can be the guinea pig and try Tapatalk HD tonight. I'll try it out and report back later :smile:

15. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Ok, I got a few spare minutes and gave it a try - no go. Same exact behavior, just loads Flickr in a new window. About the only improvement is it now has a more nicely integrated Safari viewer so it's slightly less jarring moving back and forth.

Not sure why they can't handle this more gracefully the way ForumRunner does, that's pretty frustrating since it makes it basically pointless for a photo forum :tongue:

16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I noticed the new "share" button, are there plans to expand the share options beyond Twitter?

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I changed the forum display style to "Default" and got what your insert shows.
    I did previously have it on Dark.

Back to Dark ;
    Now I see by peering into the white bar (on Dark) I can just make out some tiny grey names.

Sorted, thanks, but not ideal.
    Try it on Dark, see what you see.

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, hard to see on dark. I think I can fix that. Just need to get some time to work on it!

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, probably. Anything in particular you'd like to see there?

20. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The obvious one is FB and followed by Google+. I can see some of the picture threads being shared.