Thank you, Lensbaby!

Discussion in 'Site information' started by Amin Sabet, May 10, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I just wanted to thank Lensbaby for sponsoring Mu-43.com from October 2010 until now. Lensbaby makes great products, and they were one of the earliest third party companies to come out in support of the Micro Four Thirds system.

Lensbaby's support was a major part of paying the bills here. A lot of the improvements such as the mobile app wouldn't have been possible without them. Although Lensbaby won't be continuing to sponsor us at this time, they've indicated that they are genuinely interested in returning as a sponsor in August, and I'd love to have them back at that time.

Thanks, Lensbaby, for being an early and longstanding sponsor of Mu-43.com!

• Like Like x 11
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'd like to say thanks as well..... I see that advert and I keep wondering about buying one and how it might affect my photography. Sorry to see them going in the middle of this rush of new forum users around the arrival of the OMD, but they must know what is best for their advertising dollars.

They should consider having someone post some threads about how their products work with micro4/3 cams and show some sample photos.....some people (not me) may not ever to the reserach to see how cool they are....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks, Luke. I agree that it seems like an odd time to take a break from sponsorship given the swell in activity, but I also agree that they know what they're doing! I'm just thankful that they got us through some budgetary growing pains, server changes, etc. For a while there, they were pretty much the sole income of this site.

At some point, I'd like to do exactly as you suggested - a demonstration. We've had a couple threads with Lensbaby samples, but I think we could do more.

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks Lensbaby! Come back soon!

Can Lensbaby give someone at MU43 a loaner? I'd definitely love to experiment with some of their stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm pretty sure we could work something out!

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Another "fun" lens that I've been wanting to try out are those toy lenses from SLR Magic -- the 11mm/f1.4.

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Lensbaby is a company that does things right, so I too am sad that they've chosen to discontinue their sponsorship of our little playground. I haven't tried their products, but they've been on my "GAS list" for quite a while. I recently read an article about the company in which I was surprised to learn that their lenses are handmade in Portland, Oregon.

Hopefully they'll return as a sponsor soon.

8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah it would be great to see them come back with a bigger presence here, showing off their products, answering questions etc.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'd be happy to set up a sponsor forum for them to do that. Even if they don't come back as a sponsor, it would be a good thing for our members. I just sent them an email to see if they are interested.

10. sMichaelg

sMichaelg New to Mu-43

Jul 19, 2010
    Hello Everyone!
    I'm Michael and I handle most of the web marketing here at Lensbaby.
    I'm proud of the fact that a large portion of our ad budget goes to this forum and other photo-community sites like it. Our ads have been on this site for quite a while - in fact they're some of our longest running ads anywhere, and for most of that time they've received a steady stream of clicks.
    However those clicks have sorta trailed off as of late. It happens with most ad placements: eventually most of the people on a given site that are interested in the product being advertised have clicked on the ad.
    When that happens we just shift our advertising budget to other photo sites for a while.

I'm really grateful that you all appreciate our support; I certainly appreciate Amin's work and all your interest in Lensbaby. Plus, I'm a Sony NEX & Olympus EP1 shooter myself and have enjoyed lurking around here; thanks for all the great info!

We'll be back soon, bringing fresh ads to fresh eyes.
    In the meantime, if you are interested in how tilting one of our lenses affects your depth of field take a look at our Tilt Simulator. You can adjust aperture, direction of tilt and focus to get an idea of how it works!

Thanks so much,
    Michael

• Like Like x 7