Thank Goodness for the OMD. Warning: rant.

Bravin Neff

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bravin Neff
I’m new to m43, having recently made a move from Nikon DSLRs*. As such I recently bought an EM5 and have been enjoying it.

But I have to tell you, as someone who has been actively watching the progress of m43 since the original EP1, the main thing that struck me as the newer models rolled out after 2009 was a seemingly endless amount of iterations with the tiniest of differences, along with the most overused sensor in the history of digital cameras -- that 12MP sensor which seems to have been used in every Oly body other than the current gen.

Well I finally bought into the OMD, taking a little gamble that they actually brought something new, and it’s evident the gamble paid off. So you might ask: why would this guy, who skipped the earlier stuff, care about the older bodies? Easy. As with my Nikon days, I’m needing a second camera body. The EPL5 is too expensive at the moment, so I’m looking through the normal channels of used equipment: Adorama, KEH, Cameta refurbished, and so on. And through my research, what is being pounded back into my awareness is how every other Oly body has that same worn out and wholly undesirable (for me – don’t mean to offend anyone) 12MP sensor who’s noise levels above ISO400 reminds me way too much of my Nikon D80 for my liking. I'm just not going there, even when the EPL1's refurbed price has basically settled to a measly $100.

Since I still have most of my Nikon glass, and since I programmed the EM5 controls to work like a Nikon, I’ll probably just pick up a small Nikon body – while being keenly aware this has a decidedly step-backwards feel to it. I guess what I really need is for that EPL5 to come down!

Okay, not really sure where I was going with this, but the rant is now over.

*Not totally true – I dabbled with an EPL2 for a couple weeks in 2011.

mr_botak

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
David
As you say I'm not sure where this is going? Maybe wait a year and pick up a bargain e-pl5?

Bravin Neff

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bravin Neff
So you're upset because you haven't the monies to get what you want.

Not entirely. I wish the older generation of Oly M43 bodies had more than one sensor to choose from.

Wow. Why didn't I just say that in my original post?

pictor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The older 12MP sensor is not that bad at all, but one has to use good lenses. I still use an E-PL1 as my main camera and I don't consider the differences between the pictures taken with my Nikon D90, which I had before my switch to µ4/3, and my E-PL1 with a great lens on it as significant in terms of image quality. Lack of shooting discipline and bad or mediocre lenses affect image quality much more than the different sensors.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Not entirely. I wish the older generation of Oly M43 bodies had more than one sensor to choose from.

Yup. Lots of us feel like this. However, I've also gotten used to the 12 mp noise so I can use my E-PM1 happily. Remember, the 12 mp sensor is all we had for a long time. We waited while the Sony 16 mp 4/3 sensor came into being, so we're just glad we have it at all.

mrjr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sounds like what you need is a used G3 for about $200 or a used to GX1 for little north of $300. If you simply must have an Oly body of the latest generation, then you'll just have to wait for deals.

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
Try the EPL1 or 2. The AA filter was weaker on them and as a result the per pixel sharpness is excellent. They won't match the noise or DR of the E-M5 but they still produce a very nice image up to ISO800. You just need to be careful with your exposures.

Gordon

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
The older 12MP sensor is not that bad at all, but one has to use good lenses. I still use an E-PL1 as my main camera and I don't consider the differences between the pictures taken with my Nikon D90, which I had before my switch to µ4/3, and my E-PL1 with a great lens on it as significant in terms of image quality. Lack of shooting discipline and bad or mediocre lenses affect image quality much more than the different sensors.

Every time I get the itch to move up to an OMD, I look at Pictor's remarkable photos on Flickr, many/most taken with his E-PL1. They are incredible - proving once again that a great photographer can create outstanding photos with a camera that's not necessarily the very best in its class.

Bravin Neff

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bravin Neff

I totally hear what you're saying, and I don't disagree...

...up to a point.

There is a "look" (if you will) to sensor noise, and some of it is quite objectionable while others look just fine -- even for the same "level" of noise. I find the Nikon 12MP noise (Nikon D90, D300, et al) to have a good look to it. I find the OMD's noise to have a good look to it. I find the 16MP sensor (Nikon D7000, et al) to have a good look.

I think the Nikon D700 doesn't look great, but then it doesn't kick in until the stratosphere.

On the other hand, the "look" of noise that drives me crazy is that Nikon D80/D200 look, and the 12MP Oly sensor reminds me way too much of it.

Bravin Neff

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bravin Neff
sell some of your nikon glass ? :) problem solved

I'm thinking about it... but sometimes its hard to let things go! And the Nikkor 300 f4 AFS has got to be the best 300mm you can put on m43 under $1000, or so it seems at present.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Sounds like what you need is a used G3 for about $200 or a used to GX1 for little north of $300. If you simply must have an Oly body of the latest generation, then you'll just have to wait for deals.

What he said. I don't mind the 12mp sensor in decent light, but if you're not happy with it, the 16mp sensor in these two Pany models is significantly better if not quite up to OMD quality. And you can find those bodies cheap.

-Ray

ccunningham

Mu-43 Veteran
When I first got it, I was amazed at my e-p1. I still use an e-p2 some. But it does look pretty dated now, sort of like digging up a D100 and comparing it to a D600.

And if you think you're frustrated now, a number of us here couldn't understand why new models from olympus and panasonic kept coming out that we felt didn't really move the bar much in any direction. Really, the e-pl2 is ok and all, but was it really that much of an improvement over the e-pl1 or e-p1/2? But we're all just really glad those days are over, I think.

Of course opinons on this issue vary.

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
I'm thinking about it... but sometimes its hard to let things go! And the Nikkor 300 f4 AFS has got to be the best 300mm you can put on m43 under $1000, or so it seems at present.

yeah I hear ya :)

I work as a photographer so sometimes stuff to me is not hard its just tools :) haahahah

I am dumping my canon gear selling about 5 L lens and about 3-4 regular lens and a couple bodies

bought a D600 and just going to do two primes a 35 and 85 and one zoom the 14-24
might buy another D600 and or a D800 ?
and use the OMD also of course (two of them)

my thoughts are I should get enough out of all my old gear to buy my new gear and while I might miss some things I love the fun of new toys OH I meant tools to make me money :) hahahahaha

the oly 75 1.8 is about the sharpest lens in existence ! meaning pretty much better than any nikon or canon except maybe one or two canon or nikon like the 135 L F2 from canon and actually its sharper and equal to a couple zeiss or Leica optics
so in some ways you can say HEY I am getting some nice stuff

for me I think the OMD puts out as good of files as a pro FF for most everything you could want unless you need super fast focus then FF wins

maybe sell off the glass that can be duplicated with the OMD ?

I love trying to justify stuff to myself doing it for others is even easier :) hahahahahaha

best of luck keep us posted on what you do :)

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios

Wow. Why didn't I just say that in my original post?

This is not easy. IMHO, you either buy the cheapest EPL1/EPL2 you can find and use it with the best lenses, within its limitations... or wait for the latest Pens' prices to come down.

I'm currently debating getting a second (probably 2nd hand or refurbished) OM-D body or a EPL5... The former would make much more sense IMO.

krugorg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not sure what market you live in, but the US still has $100 instant rebates on the E-PM2 and E-PL5, which brings the E-PM2 down to $449 for just the body.

I realize it is not as cheap as some of the Panasonic deals, but it would give you the same output as the E-M5. I recently picked up an E-PM2 as a companion for the OM-D, and I love the little camera.

Otherwise, as someone else suggested, you could wait for for end of the year and probably see used/discounted E-PL5s/E-PM2s on the market.

Latest threads

Top Bottom